Re: whereami, hibernate & ifconfig

On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 19:26 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Ah - what you mean is that with ifplugd running, if you do "ifconfig eth0
> down", _ifplugd_ still thinks the interface is up.  After "ifconfig eth0
> down", the interface is definitely _down_.

No, if ifplugd is running and you run a 'ifconfig eth0 down' command,
then normally the interface is still UP. ifplugd does that. You can tell
it not to. For more information, see FAQ #3 on the ifplugd site. I
haven't checked to see if with my driver, ifplugd functions without this
'auto-UP' feature. [...] I just checked, and it doesn't work with my
driver (tg3) if the interface isn't UP.

> > You mentioned that ifplugd requires mii-tool. AFAIK, that's not correct;
> > you can specify the method of link-beat detection, and one of them is
> > mii-tool. Maybe it's just a matter of configuring ifplugd. I'm not
> > saying it is, I'm only saying it may be. :-)
> Oh??  Interesting.  It's not anywhere in the /etc/defaults/ifplugd or the
> debconf configuration, or the man page.  However, you're right - it
> _doesn't_ have a dependency on mii-tool, and implies that there's more than
> one way to tell...

That's why I said I think the packaging is not that mature :-) But it is
on the man page. Look at the -m option. By default, it doesn't use mii.

Koen