Re: Wireless network card

On Thu August 25 2005 06:52 am, RAZEK wrote:
> El mié, 24-08-2005 a las 09:27 -0700, Alan Ianson escribió:
> > Hello List,
> >
> > I would like to get wireless access working on my laptop, an hp pavilion
> > ze4400. When I bought the laptop it was running windows with a 3com
> > 3crshpw196 that was working, but now I have debian Sarge (stable)
> > installed and I'm not sure but I don't think this card is supported.
> > LSPCI doesn't show anything different when I put the card in, but this is
> > a cardbus card. Will lspci list a cardbus card?
> >
> > I have my eye on a d-link dwl-g630 card
>
> I already have that wireless card (dwl-g630 / chipset atheros), the only
> thing that i did  was  :
> make kernel compilation (debian-style)
> compile madwifi driver
> ifconfig ath0 up
> and it works fine

Thanks for the tip. I did go buy this card and built the madwifi package and
it seems to work quite well. Looking back I think the 3com card was also
working, I just didn't know how to configure debian to get it up and running.
I have an open unencrypted linkup to the ap right now so I need to set it up
with a bit more security. Can you give me any pointers on how to set that up?
Where do I put that config? Does it go under ath0 in /etc/network/interfaces?

I need to get straight in my head how to configure wireless in debian. I seem
to have it working now, but I'm not sure if I can do it again.. ;)