Re: Wireless network card

> On Thu August 25 2005 06:52 am, RAZEK wrote:
> Thanks for the tip. I did go buy this card and built the madwifi
> package and it seems to work quite well. Looking back I think the
> 3com card was also working, I just didn't know how to configure
> debian to get it up and running. I have an open unencrypted linkup
> to the ap right now so I need to set it up with a bit more security.
> Can you give me any pointers on how to set that up? Where do I put
> that config? Does it go under ath0 in /etc/network/interfaces?

> I need to get straight in my head how to configure wireless in
> debian. I seem to have it working now, but I'm not sure if I can do
> it again.. ;)

Install the WPA Supplicant.  Gives you a single config file for
configuring unencrypted, WEP-encrypted, or WPA encrypted network
connections.

WPA Supplicant handles the connection between the wireless card and
the access point.  Then you just run DHCP to handle the IP
configuration.

Works like a hot damn.  And so much simpler than using shell scripts
and the /etc/network/* config files to manage the interface.

Even better, it's portable across OSes.  I've used the same
wpa_supplicant.conf file on FreeBSD 5.3, 5.4, and 6.0, as well as
Debian 3.1, and testing.
--
Freddie Cash, CCNT CCLP        Helpdesk / Network Support Tech.
School District 73             (250) 377-HELP [377-4357]