Re: Wireless network card

On Monday 29 August 2005 21:19, Alan Ianson wrote:
<snip>

> Thanks for the tip. I did go buy this card and built the madwifi package
> and it seems to work quite well. Looking back I think the 3com card was
> also working, I just didn't know how to configure debian to get it up and
> running. I have an open unencrypted linkup to the ap right now so I need to
> set it up with a bit more security. Can you give me any pointers on how to
> set that up? Where do I put that config? Does it go under ath0 in
> /etc/network/interfaces?
>
> I need to get straight in my head how to configure wireless in debian. I
> seem to have it working now, but I'm not sure if I can do it again.. ;)

Yes, you can put it in /etc/network/interfaces.  The stanza might look
something like

iface home-wireless inet dhcp
  wireless-essid your essid
  wireless-mode managed
  wireless-channel 2
  wireless-key 1111-2222-3333-4444-AAAA-BBBB-CC

Don't put quotes around your ESSID.  You'll need the 'wireless-key' if you're
using WEP.  See man iwconfig for the full list of wireless configuration
options.  All the options defined in there go preceded by a "wireless-" if
they're used in the interfaces file.

To bring the adapter up using that particular configuration run as root
$ ifup ath0=home-wireless

where ath0 is your device's name.  You can also have alternate configurations.
For instance

iface work-wireless inet static
  address 192.168.1.5
  netmask 255.255.255.0
  gateway 192.168.1.1
  wireless-essid work
  wireless-mode managed
  wireless-channel 2
  wireless-key off

and use it with $ ifup ath0=work-wireless for more details check man
interfaces and man iwconfig.

If you move around a bit and really want to get fancy look here:
http://arstechnica.com/columns/linux/linux-20040413.ars/2
You can apparently set up your laptop to automatically detect which network is
available and choose the appropriate adapter configuration.  I haven't tried
it myself (yet!).

Hope that helps.

Luca