Re: X.Org using Intel 915GM on Dell Latitude D610

> > > Compiled into the kernel and not as modules, I guess?
> >
> > Not exactly sure; I don't use it. I was just pointing you to some
> > (hopefully the right) direction. Maybe there's a framebuffer FAQ or
> > something like that.
>
> I guess that the information here applies and that I'll have to wait
> for newer kernel releases:
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2005/01/msg00521.html

I have a 855GM and intelfb (compiled into the kernel, not as module)
works perfectly on my laptop, except for suspend and suspend2 (suspend
to disk implementations).
I have tested this with both kernel 2.6.11 and 2.6.12 with debian patches.

Another message in the thread you found tells us a bit more on the
modular and built-in versions of framebuffer drivers. It also brings
in initrd wich is a good alternative of built-in drivers.
http://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2005/01/msg00581.html