Re: thinkpad t42 number lock/number pad problem

Thanks.  Unfortunately, though, something about that failed to solve
either problem -- or, rather, it created another problem that made it
impossible to test.  Creating $HOME/.xmodmap as described and also, as
root, creating /etc/X11/Xsession.d/40xcustom_load-xmodmap caused me to
be unable to log in as a user.  Root could still log in for some
reason, but not the user.  The culprit seems to be the
40xcustom_load-xmodmap file.  At least, removing .xmodmap from the user
home directory didn't prevent startx from failing while removing the
/etc/X11... file returned things to normal.

Perhaps the version of X11 with my installation is different.

Tony