Re: thinkpad t42 number lock/number pad problem

On 31 Mar 2005 07:37:02 -0800
"tstavely@gmail.com" <tstavely@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've installed Kanotix 8 (January 2005) with the 2.6.10 kernel and at
> least some of the Debian thinkpad packages.  Wireless networking works
> smoothly.  Many of the function keys work (pressing the blue Fn key
> along with some other key with a blue icon).  The
> Scroll-lock/Number-lock key is not one with any blue on it.  Pressing
> shift-ScrLk (NumLk) evokes a beep, but not activation of the
> numberpad. However, when I plug an Ethernet cable into the jack and
> bring up eth0 the number lock led flickers and the numberpad keys
> provide sometimes numberpad keystrokes and sometimes regular keyboard
> keystrokes.  This makes things difficult, to say the least.  As far as
> I know the e1000 module which gets loaded is the correct one for the
> Intel 82540 EP (rev 03) LAN card onboard.

My old answer to the NumLock-Problem on Thinkpads:

The solution is to add the following line to your $HOME/.xmodmap :
keycode 77 = Num_Lock

But X in debian  does not source Xmodmap by default. You have to create
the file /etc/X11/Xsession.d/40xcustom_load-xmodmap:
# /etc/X11/Xsession.d/40xcustom_load-xmodmap

SYSMODMAP=/etc/X11/Xmodmap
USRMODMAP=$HOME/.Xmodmap

if [ -x /usr/bin/X11/xmodmap ]; then
    if [ -f $SYSMODMAP ]; then
	xmodmap $SYSMODMAP
    fi
fi

if [ -x /usr/bin/X11/xmodmap ]; then
    if [ -f $USRMODMAP ]; then
	xmodmap $USRMODMAP
    fi
fi
#EOF

Just login again and it should work now.

I don't know if this also helps to fix your problems with your network
card, just try it out.

Regards
  Kai