Re: Power-Button

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004, Koen Vermeer wrote:

Can you show the ACPI options in your .config file and the ACPI stuff
from dmesg? (I don't know all the details, but I do know it works on my
relatively new laptop and on a rather old one. So, it's like 'spot the
10 differences'.)
$grep -i -e suspend -e acpi /boot/config-2.6.9
# Power management options (ACPI, APM)
CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND=y
# Software Suspend 2
CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND2_CORE=y
CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND2=y
CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND2_WRITER=y
CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND_SWAPWRITER=y
CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND_LZF_COMPRESSION=y
# CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND_GZIP_COMPRESSION is not set
CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND_TEXT_MODE=y
CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND_DEFAULT_RESUME2="/dev/hda2"
# CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND_KEEP_IMAGE is not set
# CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND_DEBUG is not set
# CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND_CHECKSUMS is not set
# ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) Support
CONFIG_ACPI=y
CONFIG_ACPI_BOOT=y
CONFIG_ACPI_INTERPRETER=y
CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP=y
CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP_PROC_FS=y
CONFIG_ACPI_AC=m
CONFIG_ACPI_BATTERY=m
CONFIG_ACPI_BUTTON=m
CONFIG_ACPI_FAN=m
CONFIG_ACPI_PROCESSOR=m
CONFIG_ACPI_THERMAL=m
# CONFIG_ACPI_ASUS is not set
# CONFIG_ACPI_TOSHIBA is not set
CONFIG_ACPI_BLACKLIST_YEAR=0
# CONFIG_ACPI_DEBUG is not set
CONFIG_ACPI_BUS=y
CONFIG_ACPI_EC=y
CONFIG_ACPI_POWER=y
CONFIG_ACPI_PCI=y
CONFIG_ACPI_SYSTEM=y
CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ=m
# CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ_PROC_INTF is not set
CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_CENTRINO_ACPI=y
# CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_ACPI is not set
# CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND is not set

S3 is ACPI slang for suspend-to-ram. In the config file of the hibernate
script, there is an option to tell swsusp2 how to 'shut down'. It can be
3 (suspend-to-ram), 4 (suspend-to-disk) or 5 (off). Look for
'PowerdownMethod' in hibernate.conf. You can also try the
UseSysfsPowerState option. Like I said, the last time I tried, I
couldn't get suspend-to-ram to work. For more details on swsusp2, try
their mailinglist (softwaresuspend-help@lists.berlios.de).
OK, I tried

  hibernate --config-file=/etc/hibernate/hibernate2ram.conf

where the only diff to the default config file is

  $ diff hibernate2ram.conf hibernate.conf
  17c17
  < PowerdownMethod 3
  ---
  > # PowerdownMethod 5

and in fact I've got the known effect of shutting down monitor, stopping the
hard-disk and the well known <beep>-<beep> sound at the end.  A good sign that
the box is not comletely switched of is that the battery status display is not
switched off.   The only problem is that it did not came back after pressing
the power button.

I had the same effect when I was using the powernowd package.  I guess it also
issued a suspend-to-ram event after a certain time of no user interaction because
the behaviour was absolutely the same.  That's why I deinstalled powernowd.
The effect was the following:

     1. Pressing power button (to awake the laptop)
     2. Harddisk started
     3. Status display at the top of the keyboard showed hard-disk activity
     4. After a short while the hard disk stopped again
     5. No further reaction neither via keyboard / mouse or network
     6. The only chance was to press power button for 5 seconds until the
        box completely switched of and booted from scratch (having ext3
        fortunately ...)

I guess this is a problem of the Kernel but I'm not sure how to report this and
if people suspect cooncidences with SwSusp2.

Kind regards

           Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de