Re: new laptop recommendations?

Hi Tim, *,

Tim wrote:

> > i might have to think real hard about the ibm.  do they have any
> > machines designed for linux, meaning all the cool built-ins
> > (nic, wlan, bluetooth, sound) definitely work with linux?  this
> > is where i may do better with a refurb or used machine, i guess.
> >

> i'm currently using a thinkpad r51. sound works, 3d acceleration works
> (quake3 runs smoothly), wlan works, gigabit ethernet works. s2d does not
> work with ACPI yet, but that may be due to me lacking the skills to get it
> running. a friend told me he got s2d working using APM, i'll try that
> within the next few days. it seems to me that most of the components ibm
> uses work wuite good with linux. see
> http://www.sp1r1t.de/networks/linux_on_ibm_thinkpad_r51.html for more
> info.
try to use swsusp2 for suspend to disk. it works very well on my t23, but it
is a little bit invasive with patches against kernel.
http://softwaresuspend.berlios.de/

Kind regards
Martin  Theiß

--
Martin Theiß <mtheiss@neo.wh-stutgart.de>
GPG-Fingerprint: EC80 53A2 F0A2 6E6C 74D2  CB6E 002A F6D3 E78B 7F45

The box said 'Requires Windows 95 or better', so I installed Linux - TKK 5