Re: new laptop recommendations?

On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 01:48:20PM +1000, Daniel Pittman wrote:
> *nod*  Also, the Intel "Extreme" graphics chips have decent Linux
> support, as I understand it, and that is the new budget chip in IBM
> laptops.

3d support?  i'd happily go with anything with nice open
support.  3d is just for toys (a game or 2 or screensavers), but
it's nice to have a bit of glitz when people see a linux laptop.
:)

> > what about acpi support?
> I can't say, since my A31p and the R40 laptops we used all had good,
> solid APM support, so I never really bothered with ACPI. :)
[snip]
> I get the feeling that it is reasonably good from postings on the
> Thinkpad hardware list, but APM still works well, and I still use it
> happily. :)

i jumped to acpi from years of apm use to invert the power
management model -- let the OS control and implement reactions
to events, like suspend.  swsusp is much faster than bios s2d,
and it uses my swap, so it doesn't waste space needing a special
suspend partition.

> I have a P4m-1.8 processor. Sure, it takes me ten minutes to compile a
> kernel but, day to day, I get wonderful performance out of the hardware.
> A faster CPU just wouldn't make that much difference to me, while a 24
> hour turn-around on replacing a failing hard disk, including IBM sending
> it to me by courier so I had *zero* downtime, is worth quite a bit.[1]

i'd like to try to spring for the most processor i can afford
just to keep the machine more useful longer.  too be honest, i'm
still working nicely at 600mhz, but the rest of the machine is
failing.

support is a good point, plus finding parts on ebay is a plus!

i might have to think real hard about the ibm.  do they have any
machines designed for linux, meaning all the cool built-ins
(nic, wlan, bluetooth, sound) definitely work with linux?  this
is where i may do better with a refurb or used machine, i guess.
--
| glynis@hjsoft.com         http://www.hjsoft.com/~glynis/ |