Re: new laptop recommendations?

On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 10:24:17PM -0400, John M Flinchbaugh wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 10:18:28AM +1000, Daniel Pittman wrote:
> > On 13 Aug 2004, John M. Flinchbaugh wrote:
> > > i must buy a new notebook to replace my declining inspiron 3800.
> > My recommendation would be for an IBM laptop.
> [snip]
> > The second reason is that most of their hardware is well supported by
> > Linux, including the graphics chips (ATI or Intel) which will
> eventually
> > work with an OSS driver, even if they don't support hardware 3D
> > today[1].
> > These days you get the Centrino wireless card as well, which sucks,
> but
> > people are getting there, and Intel are now getting into an OSS driver
> > for it.
>
> i do lean towards the ati chips instead of nvidia, because i really
> don't like having to patch my source much or load binary drivers.
>
> what about acpi support?  it took me over 3 years to really see
> decent acpi support on my inspiron 3800.  is acpi support on all
> hardware coming along the same, or am i going to buy a new
> machine and lose all my power management capabilities?  that
> feels like one of those deep, dark things that i can't tell just
> by looking up a chipset.

ACPI is becoming stable for the PM portion, though there are still
some issues with pm codes for the other subsystems (especially USB,
maybe AGP, and more or less all video cards though the radeon is
perhaps OK for this due to some non oficial support from ATI).

> any acpi (battery, ac, fan, processor, events) successes out
> there?

Some trouble still with events (some bugs where unfortunately
reintroduced, but it should be OK now hopefully).

--
Bruno Ducrot

--  Which is worse:  ignorance or apathy?
--  Don't know.  Don't care.