Sound card problems

I recently installed Linux from the Knoppix CD on to the harddrive, which is
Debian, on an old Compaq Presario 1681 laptop to try it out and learn a bit.
I've gotten almost everything to work right except my sound card. It's an
ESS 1869/1887/1888 (from the Compaq website).

I ran sndconfig but the card is not detected. I tried various drivers in the
list including those from ESS with no results until I tried the Sound
Blaster driver and got some sound out of my computer. I can listen to some
sounds with it but I get constant arts soundserver errors and I can't play
music and it goes nuts with games.

Has anyone here had any experience with this sound card and gotten it to
work? Or can anyone provide me with some clues or steps to follow as to how
to proceed on this issue. Be aware that I've only been using Linux for a few
days.

Thanks