Re: Sound card problems

> I recently installed Linux from the Knoppix CD on to the harddrive,
> which is Debian, on an old Compaq Presario 1681 laptop to try it out and
> learn a bit. I've gotten almost everything to work right except my sound
> card. It's an ESS 1869/1887/1888 (from the Compaq website).

I haven't install this souncard before so I have only a few tips for you:

The soundcard ESS 1869 needs isapnp support in the kernel. It is correct:
the card needs the SB module. Here I found an entry in /etc/modules.conf
(you will need the infos for IRQ,DMA,...)

alias char-major-14 sb
post-install sb /sbin/modprobe "-k" "adlib_card"
options sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x330 esstype=1869
options adlib_card io=0x388
options sound dmabuf=1

There is no warranty for this informations

Carsten