Re: IRDA + Clevo 2700C

Thanks for the tip, i want to connect to a Nokia 7110, i know the Hayes AT command set,
all i need is to find the /dev entry... (as i said i'm no linux expert :-)

I'll try gnokii...

Paulo Lopes.

Karl E. Jorgensen wrote:

On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 06:24:56PM +0100, Paulo Lopes wrote:
Hi,

I have a Clevo 2700C laptop and i've decided to move from
windows OS to Debian 3 (Woody). I've configured almost
everything...

[snip...]

Now i want to use my infrared port and i don't know how?!
i've installed irda-utils package (i only have install the stable
packages on my system) and compiled the kernel with irda support.

the irda package created an irlan device that shows up
under 'ifconfig' but i want to connect to it a mobile phone.
(it worked fine under windows) now i try the minicom to /dev/ircomm0
and cannot connect to the phone...

It depends on what sort of phone it is - not all I/R phones accept
Hayes-style commands; some use a protocol of their own.

If your phone allegedly supports at commands (e.g. Nokia 7110 and
probably others) [1], then it should be relatively easy (that seems to be
the route you have taken). Other phones need their own special "drivers"
to simulate a modem - gnokii can provide this for most Nokia models.

[1] More precisely: "have a built-in modem", i think. I'm no expert on
   that area. I *think* that if an irdadump shows the phone supporting
   IRCOMM then it has a built-in modem.