IRDA + Clevo 2700C

Hi,

I have a Clevo 2700C laptop and i've decided to move from
windows OS to Debian 3 (Woody). I've configured almost
everything...

I'm no linux expert, but i made my way arround...

At the point i've configured:
 - SiS900 network card
 - Trident (sound) using ALSA
 - SiS630s (Graphics Accelerated under X and Console (sisfb))
 - APM 1.2 works fine
 - CDRW Matsushita UJDA310
 - Touchpad + PS/2 port
 - USB (not tested yet...)
 - PCMCIA (not tested)
 - Internal Modem softmodem SLMDM

Now i want to use my infrared port and i don't know how?!
i've installed irda-utils package (i only have install the stable
packages on my system) and compiled the kernel with irda support.

the irda package created an irlan device that shows up
under 'ifconfig' but i want to connect to it a mobile phone.
(it worked fine under windows) now i try the minicom to /dev/ircomm0
and cannot connect to the phone...

can someone tell me how to do this?

Thanks.

Paulo Lopes.