Re: IRDA + Clevo 2700C

On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 06:24:56PM +0100, Paulo Lopes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Clevo 2700C laptop and i've decided to move from
> windows OS to Debian 3 (Woody). I've configured almost
> everything...

[snip...]

> Now i want to use my infrared port and i don't know how?!
> i've installed irda-utils package (i only have install the stable
> packages on my system) and compiled the kernel with irda support.
>
> the irda package created an irlan device that shows up
> under 'ifconfig' but i want to connect to it a mobile phone.
> (it worked fine under windows) now i try the minicom to /dev/ircomm0
> and cannot connect to the phone...

It depends on what sort of phone it is - not all I/R phones accept
Hayes-style commands; some use a protocol of their own.

If your phone allegedly supports at commands (e.g. Nokia 7110 and
probably others) [1], then it should be relatively easy (that seems to be
the route you have taken). Other phones need their own special "drivers"
to simulate a modem - gnokii can provide this for most Nokia models.

[1] More precisely: "have a built-in modem", i think. I'm no expert on
    that area. I *think* that if an irdadump shows the phone supporting
    IRCOMM then it has a built-in modem.
--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl@jorgensen.com