Re: IRDA + Clevo 2700C

[please don't top-quote...]

On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 11:37:30AM +0100, Paulo Lopes wrote:
> Karl E. Jorgensen wrote:
>
> >On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 06:24:56PM +0100, Paulo Lopes wrote:

[snip]

> >>Now i want to use my infrared port and i don't know how?!
> >>i've installed irda-utils package (i only have install the stable
> >>packages on my system) and compiled the kernel with irda support.
> >>
> >>the irda package created an irlan device that shows up
> >>under 'ifconfig' but i want to connect to it a mobile phone.
> >>(it worked fine under windows) now i try the minicom to /dev/ircomm0
> >>and cannot connect to the phone...
> >
> >It depends on what sort of phone it is - not all I/R phones accept
> >Hayes-style commands; some use a protocol of their own.
> >
> >If your phone allegedly supports at commands (e.g. Nokia 7110 and
> >probably others) [1], then it should be relatively easy (that seems to be
> >the route you have taken). Other phones need their own special "drivers"
> >to simulate a modem - gnokii can provide this for most Nokia models.

[snip]

> Thanks for the tip, i want to connect to a Nokia 7110, i know the Hayes
> AT command set,

You shouldn't *need* to use gnokii to use the Nokia 7110 as a modem
(although gnokii is nice for sending sms's and fiddling with the address
book). I've got a 7110 myself.

> all i need is to find the /dev entry... (as i said i'm no linux expert :-)

It should look a bit like this one:

crw-rw----    1 root     infrared 161,   0  1 jan  1970 /dev/ircomm0

where the major number of 161 is important.

Stupid question: Have you activated infrared on the phone? The 7110
doesn't listen constantly.

What does "irdadump -l" show ? It should show the normal discovery
frames being sent out 'bout every 3 seconds. If the phone has IR
activated and is within range, you should be able to see the responses
from the phone too. Firing up minicom will cause a fast flurry of
IR activity.

If irdadump shows no activity, then you probably have a problem with the
IR set-up. On my laptop, irda sometimes stop after a suspend/resume
cycle; I have to stop irda, unload the modules start irda, before it
gets going again.

HTH
--
Karl E. Jørgensen