Re: Dell Inspiron 2500 and potato

Preben Randhol wrote:
Derek Broughton <derek_broughton@hotmail.com> wrote on 14/05/2002
(20:42) :

It's Dell's fault that the DSDT (a major part of ACPI) is broken.  I'm
not sure whether it's Dell's or Intel's fault processor limits aren't
supported.  It's definitely Dell's fault that Thermal and Fan controls
aren't implemented and that the battery info is broken.  These are all
things that ACPI has been able to get working on other systems.

Ok I had the impression that it was that the ACPI wasn't mature enough.
Anyway I'm glad I cannot change the fan and termal as I don't want my
laptop to overheat. The battery is not so much needed either as first

Indeed, the fan seems to be controlled outside of ACPI and there's no problem with the way it's working. You're probably right that actually being able to _write_ to those parts of ACPI and override the manufacturer's intent is not a good thing. After all, only the engineers who design the machine really know what a safe temperature is. But it would be nice if I could _see_ the CPU temperature.

the light becomes red and then after 10-15 min it start blinking and
then you know it is time to turn off. :-)

But I _really_ would like to be able to tell it to hibernate in that situation, just like I can in Windows. Then you could safely leave the machine for a few minutes without worrying that it's had an unsafe shutdown (though I'm not nearly so worried about that since I finally got around to going with EXT3 file systems).

otoh, APM isn't _broken_ on the i2500 - it doesn't even exist.  It's a
pure ACPI machine.

OK, but APM used to work on older models of the BIOS

So I understand, but not since I got mine :-)

Anyway, stay in touch - I'm determined to get ACPI fully working on the i2500, and there aren't so many of us i2500 users around that we can't all keep each other informed when we learn something :-)
--
derek