Re: Dell Inspiron 2500 and potato

* Derek Broughton <derek_broughton@hotmail.com>, 2002-05-13 07:22 -0400:
> From: "Andre Berger" <uzscd5@uni-bonn.de>

Hi Derek!

> > installing potato (don't want woody yet) on it. The stock kernel
>
> Why not?  There's no good reason to avoid woody.  Potato is way too old,
> now.

I'm a stability freak :)

> > 2.2.19 hangs at the initialization of the md (raid) driver, so I
> > installed 2.2.19-idepci.
>
> Absolutely correct.  And this is the only good reason for using potato at
> all - the 2.2.19-idepci kernel is the one I had the least trouble with.
> 2.4.16-586 in Woody worked ok, too.  Everything else has had to be majorly
> tweaked by me.
>
> > Which boots, but doesn't seem to have i810 or ipx/ncpfs support...
>
> I don't know about ipx/ncpfs, since I haven't tried them (though I have
> compiled kernels with ipx built in, so the support is there), but i810 is
> only fully supported (using agpgart) on the 2.4 kernels.

Which is probably true. However, I've compiled my own kernel now (w/o
SCSI, md, raid, w/ ipx, ncpfs, agpgart, i810 support) and it works
for me.

> > Is it possible to pass a kernel option or something so
> > that md does not load with the stock kernel 2.2.19?
>
> Possibly, but it isn't going to fix your i810.

It's fortunately working now.

> > Has anyone a working configuration for XFree < 4 for this machine? It
> > would be xserver-svga then, wouldn't it?
>
> There is no such beast.  You can get vga mode on XFree 3.x, but save
> yourself the hassle and install woody.

Good advice, but too late.

Xfree 3.3.x is theoretically possible using the "i810gtt" kernel AGP
timimg patch from Intel (i810gtt-0.1-6.src.rpm) in conjunction with
Intel's "XFcom_810" server. Did not do that to myself though but
installed XFree86 4.1 for potato... :)

Thanks!

-Andre