Re: Dell Inspiron 2500 and potato

:
> > From: "Preben Randhol" <randhol@pvv.org>
> >
> > > Woody is stable. And when released in some weeks it will be the new
> > > stable distribution and then security fixes will only be towards
woody.

> > I think it'll be more than a few weeks - it has to go to "frozen" first.
>
> Huh it isn't frozen, but they were supposed to get it out at 1. May and
> what was said was that they had almost all ready except some key parts.
> I'm confused.

I understand it was something more like "We hope to have it out by May 1"
:-)  I never saw a firm commitment

> > No problems related to Woody, that is :-)  ACPI is still non-functional
> > (Dell's fault, not the ACPI developers)
>
> Huh I thought that it was due to that the ACPI isn't very developed yet
> which was the reason why it didn't work. I don't think it is Dells
> fault. APM on the otherhand fits your description.

It's Dell's fault that the DSDT (a major part of ACPI) is broken.  I'm not
sure whether it's Dell's or Intel's fault processor limits aren't supported.
It's definitely Dell's fault that Thermal and Fan controls aren't
implemented and that the battery info is broken.  These are all things that
ACPI has been able to get working on other systems.

otoh, APM isn't _broken_ on the i2500 - it doesn't even exist.  It's a pure
ACPI machine.

derek