creating an executable

Currently, I have g++ installed on my laptop. I wish to do some light programming with it but for some odd reason I cant produce executables. I've written the "hello world" program as a test. I've compiled and run it before on solaris on my Sun workstation so I don't see any reason why it won't work on linux on my intel laptop.

Here's the code:

#include <iostream.h>

int main() {

cout << "Hello World." << endl;

}

To compile I use the commmand:

g++ -o hello hello.cpp

I do get a "hello" file with 755 permissions so everything looks fine. However, when i try to run the program i get the error msg saying:

bash: hello: command not found

Has anyone else come across this problem? Am I missing a library or something? I made to sure to install the entire C and C++ development packages when installing Debian. It would be great if I could get this fixed so I can start doing some coding.

Thanks!