Re: Dell Inspiron 2500 and potato

From: "Andre Berger" <uzscd5@uni-bonn.de>

> My friend has got this Dell Inspiron 2500, and I have some problems
> installing potato (don't want woody yet) on it. The stock kernel

Why not?  There's no good reason to avoid woody.  Potato is way too old,
now.

> 2.2.19 hangs at the initialization of the md (raid) driver, so I
> installed 2.2.19-idepci.

Absolutely correct.  And this is the only good reason for using potato at
all - the 2.2.19-idepci kernel is the one I had the least trouble with.
2.4.16-586 in Woody worked ok, too.  Everything else has had to be majorly
tweaked by me.

> Which boots, but doesn't seem to have i810 or ipx/ncpfs support...

I don't know about ipx/ncpfs, since I haven't tried them (though I have
compiled kernels with ipx built in, so the support is there), but i810 is
only fully supported (using agpgart) on the 2.4 kernels.

> Is it possible to pass a kernel option or something so
> that md does not load with the stock kernel 2.2.19?

Possibly, but it isn't going to fix your i810.

> Has anyone a working configuration for XFree < 4 for this machine? It
> would be xserver-svga then, wouldn't it?

There is no such beast.  You can get vga mode on XFree 3.x, but save
yourself the hassle and install woody.
--
derek