Re: Friendliest Laptop??

On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 11:18:28AM -0800, elysium@tsoft.com wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 12:34:27PM -0600, Jonathan Crockett wrote:
> > This is just my opinion.  There are several portable computer categories.
> > Mainly laptops, pda's and Thinkpads.  I firmly believe the best portable
> > computers you can buy are the Thinkpads.  You get what you pay for.  I
> > have worked on Dells, Compaqs, Microns, Gateways, Powerbooks, Toshibas,
> > Acers, TIs, and IBM Thinkpads.  Once you have a Thinkpad, everything else
> > is just a laptop.
>
> Thinkpads are the main ones I have been looking at. But they still
> run _hot_, so they're totally unsuitable for me. For other people,
> great. But it fails one of my requirements. I'm not sure about how durable
> the case is, either, but it seems pretty strong.
>
> The Fujitsu LX(T|S) (http://www.dynamism.com/lx) look nice, too, but I
> doubt their cases would be at all durable.

My current Thinkpad is a 390X (2626-JNU), PII 400, 6 gig hd, lucent winmodem,
15.1 TFT screen, usb, cdrom/floppy.  I have not noticed it running hot,
except when I throw it in my carring case to run home or to work.  I have used
it on my lap quite often without it getting hot (warm yes).  It is very heavy,
but that is quite acceptible once you see the screen.  It does have a small
fan on the left side of the keyboard that jets out warmer air.  The wonderful
people at Lucent have a binary only kernel module for the modem, but I have
not gotten it to work.  Other than that, I have no complaints about this TP.
--
Jonathan Crockett
Network Engineer