Re: System freezes after starting PCMCIA

    Philipp> On Mon, Nov 20, 2000 at 03:57:02PM -0700, Hubert Chan wrote:

    >> The way you're writing sounds like if you start pcmcia what the card
    >> isn't in, then the system doesn't freeze.  Is that right?

    Philipp> Yes. I somehow managed once to load the the tulip_cb module. But
    Philipp> ifconfig would not work then.

So what happens if you start pcmcia without the card, then stick the card in,
and run "cardctl insert" (as root)?

    >> If the card is supposed to work fine, there may be something wrong with
    >> the PCMCIA controller.  Some manufacturers don't use very compatible
    >> chipsets.  Toshiba (my laptop) is one of them -- I had to disable 32-bit
    >> CardBus support to get it to work.  I don't know anything about
    >> LifeBook, though.

    Philipp> You mean while doing the PCMCIA-config? Should I try that?  Phil

I had to disable CardBus support in my BIOS.  It wasn't a software thing.  I
don't remember what happened before I disabled it.  I think that the PCMCIA
modules just didn't recognize the controller and failed to initialize the card.
If your BIOS has a setting for that, you can try changing it.  It shouldn't be
harmful, and if it still doesn't work, you can always change it back.

Hubert