Re: laptop "metapackage"

On Wed, Sep 22, 1999 at 11:26:20AM +0200, Russell Coker wrote:
> I am saying that it has no special importance for laptops.  If we go down the
> track of dragging everything that is needed for a laptop then we'll soon have
> things like bash included which IMHO is not the aim.  The aim is to list all
> things that are laptop specific or that have a special need in laptops.

I totally understand that fear, I've had the same thoughts.

> You install hdparm if you want to tune your hard drive(s) for maximum
> performance.  It doesn't matter if you have a desktop or a laptop.  If you
> choose not to install hdparm on your desktop then you probably shouldn't be
> forced to install it on your laptop.

The reason I suggested it is that I don't use hdparm for tuning my hard-drive
for performance, only for setting it to shut down after 30 seconds of
inactivity, like my previous Win95 settings.  So I've always thought of it as
a power management tool, along with apmd.  Would having the laptop-metapackage
just suggest or recommend (can't remember which is lower) hdparm, but not
depend on it be a better solution I wonder?

MBG

--
"Infinite: Bigger than the biggest thing ever and then some.  Much bigger than
that in fact, really amazingly immense, a totally stunning size, real "wow,