Re: Please update apt-howto translation

On Sat, Sep 24, 2005 at 06:01:31PM +0200, Jens Seidel wrote:
> I assume you did the conversion to PO for all languages. Assume a
> language was up-to-date, now it's completely marked fuzzy and that's
> why remains untranslated. Not a nice progress ...

The progress will be for future translation updates.

> Of course not, but by proper analysing!
> One example: If the SGML file was completely up-to-date you would be
> able to remove all fuzzy strings. On the other side you have to ensure
> that the msgid and msgstr match. I assume the messages are grouped by
> comparing paragraphs in the original files.
> This would require knowledge of the language ...

 You're right, with up-to-date SGML files it would have been easier for
 me to convert these files and remove some fuzzy marks (eg for
 <example></example> tags) by analysing the structure. I also can
 suppose translated strings are right, but a native speaker still needs
 to review the generated document.

> Maybe it's a good idea first to update the old SGML file and convert
> after this to PO file format. So it would be possible to restrict
> updating of the file to out of sync parts of the translation (according
> to old SVN/CVS changes).
> Directly modifying the PO files requires much more work.

I remember the time i translated into french the first 1.9.x version one
year ago, and it was a pain; cutting paragraphs here, pasting over
there, ensuring strings are the same in the current version is the
same in the same in the older version to not touch my translation, etc.
Here you just need to read msgids and msgstrs, remove fuzzy marks and
translate untranslated messages. Does reading the english version and
the german version in the *same* file need much work than comparing at
least two files in different languages? I don't think so, but it's just
my opinion.

> Please also note that it's likely that the fuzzy mark is removed, just
> because the msgid and msgstr strings *seems* to match. If you remove the
> fuzzy mark for a large amount of messages you will not notice the little
> change in the next string (let's say a minor part of a long URL changed)
> but would notice this in the SGML file according to the SVN log of the
> English version.

I also had some difficulties to find what have change in the svn log,
but that's another problem, i really need to see an ophtalmologist :-)

> That's the problem, right? You changed to a new format which requires
> a lot of work but are not willing/able to do the necessary steps :-))

help is welcomed ;-)

> No, there is no need to send another file to this list but please commit
> it (for all languages, not only German!). Ensuring that the header is OK

I'm waiting for the maintainer approval to commit my work on the SVN
repository, and i have to solve some build problems.

> is really important (build process reqires a proper encoding, bug
> reporting requires a proper maintainer address, ...) and should be done
> by the person who created the file, otherwise it is very likely that at
> least one entry is wrong for at least one language for a long time ...

Well, for the header you're right, i will add all necessary fields in
all gettextized translations.

> Again thanks for your work. I'm just disappointed by the amount of work
> necessary to have it done properly ...

 If you think you have less work with the SGML file, feel free to update
 this one instead of the PO file, with one request, add some comments
 around the text added in your translation.

--
Un conducteur dangereux, c'est celui qui vous dépasse malgré tous vos
efforts pour l'en empêcher.