Re: Shorten down the Dutch translation of the root password question dialog in package shadow

On Sat, Mar 26, 2005 at 09:40:24AM +0100, Jouke Witteveen wrote:
> >(the company I work for does networks for schools, on each school there's
> >1 or 2 teachers doing the daily admin stuff (such as changing the backup
> >tapes), for about a year I tought the 2-day ICT course they get as part of
> >the package, and they _needed_ to be told)
> >
> IMO such people shouldn't install a Debian server.

That is all well and good, but not really sound as a policy for creating
an operating system. Such people /will/ install a Debian server, and we
must make sure they do it well, if that is possible.

> >>just saying: "Dit is belangrijk, zorg dat je een goed wachtwoord
> >>neemt" will make the situation clear too...
> >>
> >if you're gonna tell them they need a good password, you should also tell
> >them what that means, it's kinda pointless to start explaining something
> >and then stop halfway.
>
> Yes, when, as you say, people don't know what a good password is you
> must explain.

People /will/ not know. Even I tend to forget from time to time.

> >('what's a good password', and 'how do you choose one you can still
> >remember are the 2 questions I got asked _every_ single time, when I
> >tought that course)
>
> One of the first programs I ever wrote (QBASIC) generates good
> passwords.

So does pwgen, given the right command line options; but that doesn't
help any of our users installing Debian for the first time.

> You can skip the explanation and just give an _example_ (generated by
> such a program) of a good password (no more than an example; they must
> still think of a password themselves).

That would require a change to the code and is thus out of the scope of
translation.

You're welcome to suggest this to the relevant maintainer (it sounds
like a good idea, actually, provided the password is /never/ hardcoded),
but we shouldn't attempt to do it here.

> You can also propose to run a C variant of this program to generate a
> password.  To remember a good password you should type it a thousand
> times and just learn it by heart.

Indeed.

[...]
> One other question;
> Why speak english on a dutch list?

Because there was a bugreport involved by someone who didn't speak dutch
;-)

--
         EARTH
     smog  |   bricks