Re: Shorten down the Dutch translation of the root password question dialog in package shadow

On Friday 25 March 2005 10:04, Jouke Witteveen wrote:
> cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis) wrote:
> >>
> >>Tricky..:-)
> >>
> >>But you can use the podebconf-display-po utility for this (from the
> >>po-debconf package). Of course you have to use it in a 80x25 terminal.
> >
> >ok, updated version attached, I pruned it so it fits on 1 screen in a
> > 80x25 terminal (which is better, though that screen does scroll, we
> > really need a better scroll indicator in the dialog frontend :-( )

> It's still quite big.
It fits on one screen which is what counts

> Is it realy necessary to give such an extended
> description of a good password?
necessary, no, useful yes (IMO)

(and really the given discription is pretty much a minimal description of a
good password, and how to choose one)

> I mean, if you do need a good password (ie you're a professional
> sysadmin) you already know this. If you don't (you're setting-up Debian
> on a personal pc) you probably won't need one and
if you're gonna use passwords at all, you should make sure they're good
passwords, otherwise you might as well not bother. (and in any case it
being a personal machine won't stop it from being a target these days,
almost everyone now has an always one broadband connection)

As to an admin already knowing this. there's lots of people acting as the
admin of networks (in for instance schools, non-profits, small
companies, ...) that don't have an ICT-background (they simply happen to be
the person with the most ICT-knowhow available), and my experience tells me
odds are they won't know

(the company I work for does networks for schools, on each school there's 1
or 2 teachers doing the daily admin stuff (such as changing the backup
tapes), for about a year I tought the 2-day ICT course they get as part of
the package, and they _needed_ to be told)

> just saying: "Dit is
> belangrijk, zorg dat je een goed wachtwoord neemt" will make the
> situation clear too...
if you're gonna tell them they need a good password, you should also tell
them what that means, it's kinda pointless to start explaining something
and then stop halfway.

('what's a good password', and 'how do you choose one you can still remember
are the 2 questions I got asked _every_ single time, when I tought that
course)
--
Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)