Re: Mounting problem with Knoppix-5.0.1

Hi Klaus,

> Actually, you (or rather the guy who sold you that computer) must have
> configured this harddisk once as part of a softraid raid array (not
> "software raid", but the kind of non-hardware-raid that Promise and
> others sell as "onboard raid controller").

That is true, I have an Asus P4PE mainboard that has a Promise controller.
Output of lspci:
-------------
0000:02:04.0 RAID bus controller: Promise Technology, Inc. PDC20376 (FastTrak
376) (rev 02)
-------------

That is where my SATA harddrive is attached to. So this is a RAID with a
single hard disk (called "1+0 Stripe").

> Do a quick check with "dmraid -r".

# dmraid -r
 /dev/sda: pdc, "pdc_cfgjbgfb", stripe, ok, 488397056 sectors, data@ 0

> So, Knoppix' behaviour is actually CORRECT here for the first time. ;-)

And protects me from my very own harddisk for the first time, too :-)

> A) Remove the Softraid signature from the disk. I have no experience with
> this, though, so I'm recommending a full backup of all valuable data
> before attempting a "dmraid -E".

Ouch, I really don't feel like backing up 200 GByte right now just to try one
command.

> B) Boot with "knoppix noideraid", which skips softraid detection. Of
> course, it is more inconvenient to enter that option every time you boot
> Knoppix.

I tested this and it works. But fiddling with boot options is a big PITA.

> What does /proc/partitions say?
$ cat /proc/partitions
major minor  #blocks  name

   8     0  244198584 sda
   8     1   10482381 sda1
   8     2    1951897 sda2
   8     3    9767520 sda3
   8     4          1 sda4
   8     5    9767488 sda5
   8     6    9767488 sda6
   8     7    9767488 sda7
   8     8    9767488 sda8
   8     9  182924091 sda9
 240     0    1991680 cloop0
 254     0  244198528 dm-0
 254     1   10482381 dm-1
 254     2    1951897 dm-2
 254     3    9767520 dm-3
 254     4    9767488 dm-4
 254     5    9767488 dm-5
 254     6    9767488 dm-6
 254     7    9767488 dm-7
 254     8  182924091 dm-8

> Does /dev/mapper/pdc_cfgjbgfb9 show up when you boot "normally" (i.e.
> without "noideraid")? Is /media/pdc_cfgjbgfb9 there?

Yes, both are there after standard boot.

Klaus, thank you very much for your hard work. I am remastering Knoppix for
Swiss schools (http://campus.ph-solothurn.ch/ICT/LinuxInDerSchule, direct
download link
http://campus.ph-solothurn.ch/pub/ICT/LinuxInDerSchule/phso_20060506.iso) and
it would be fantastic to run this system without scaring the kids away with
boot options.

Greetings & many thanks

Ronny