Re: Mounting problem with Knoppix-5.0.1

Hi Ronny,

On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 11:30:51PM +0200, Ronny Standtke wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I tested Knoppix-5.0.1 today and run straight into a problem I never had
> before:
> My harddisk partitions where no longer visible at the desktop. After using the
> Konqueror URL "system:/media" I saw them. But no matter what partition I
> clicked on I got an error message, e.g. for /dev/sda9:
> ---------------
> Laufwerk kann nicht eingebunden werden.
> Die Fehlermeldung lautet:
> mount: Konnte /dev/sda9 nicht in /etc/fstab oder /etc/mtab finden
> ---------------
>
> After looking at the /etc/fstab file I noticed some strange entries, e.g.
> ---------------
> # Added by KNOPPIX
> /dev/mapper/pdc_cfgjbgfb9 /media/pdc_cfgjbgfb9 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0
> ---------------
>
> What the heck is this!? Are my partitions mapped to a primary domain
> controller configuration journalized background framebuffer? :-) Whatever
> Knoppix is trying here, it just doesn't work.

Actually, you (or rather the guy who sold you that computer) must have
configured this harddisk once as part of a softraid raid array (not
"software raid", but the kind of non-hardware-raid that Promise and
others sell as "onboard raid controller"). It still has the raid
signature. So, "naturally", in order not to damage an existing raid
configuration, Knoppix 5.0.1 (i.e. dmraid) tries to map the disk as pcd
(Promise Softwaraid controller) component. Which won't work in your case
because the disk apparently is NOT part of a raid array anymore.

Do a quick check with "dmraid -r".

So, Knoppix' behaviour is actually CORRECT here for the first time. ;-)

Two options:

A) Remove the Softraid signature from the disk. I have no experience with
this, though, so I'm recommending a full backup of all valuable data
before attempting a "dmraid -E".

B) Boot with "knoppix noideraid", which skips softraid detection. Of
course, it is more inconvenient to enter that option every time you boot
Knoppix.

> Mounting /media/pdc_cfgjbgfb9 by hand worked but it should not be necessary to
> go down to the command line for this.

Interesting. IMHO, it should fail because there is no actual raid
installed.  If it's possible, then this entry should have been added to
/etc/fstab and it is a bug in rebuildfstab.

What does /proc/partitions say? Does /dev/mapper/pdc_cfgjbgfb9 show up
when you boot "normally" (i.e. without "noideraid")? Is
/media/pdc_cfgjbgfb9 there?

> I double checked again. There are no such problems with Knoppix-4.0.2 here.

Yes, because 4.0.2 ignored the raid signature and just mounted every
single harddisk, possibly destroying a raid configuration if the user attempted to
mount a raid component out of the raid configuration in read/write mode.