Re: remastering peculiarities

Hi, and sorry about the long quote,

On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 10:42:20AM -0600, John Schmidt wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 June 2006 21:05, John Schmidt wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am remastering the KNOPPIX V5 CD to free up some space for some different
> > software.
> >
> > I am following the quantian_howto_build guide (written for a 3.X series of
> > KNOPPIX) with some suitable modifications for the latest version of
> > KNOPPIX.
> >
> > Specifically, I have copied the contents of the cd to my hard drive and
> > used the cloop module to copy the compressed file system to a "source"
> > directory. I then chroot to the "source" directory and make modifications,
> > namely, remove some unneeded packages.
> >
> > I then exit the chroot'ed "source" and make a compressed file system using
> > the following writing things to my "release" directory:
> >
> > mkisofs -R -l -V "KNOPPIX iso9660 filesystem" -hide-rr-moved -v  \
> >         source/ | create_compressed_fs - 65536 > release/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX
> >
> > I then copy a bunch of files from the original cd to my "release",
> > specifically, I do the following:
> >
> > cp -vax orig-cdrom/[abci]* release/
> > cp -vax orig-cdrom/KNOPPIX/[biklLmMR]* release/KNOPPIX/
> > cp -vax orig-cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX-* release/KNOPPIX/
> >
> > After creating md5sums, I then make the iso using the following:
> >
> > mkisofs -pad -l -r -J -v -V "KNOPPIX" -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 \
> >    -boot-info-table -b boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin -c boot/isolinux/boot.cat
> > \ -hide-rr-moved -o ../knoppix.iso ../release
> >
> > I then use qemu to boot this iso via:
> >
> > qemu -m 512 -cdrom knoppix.iso -boot d
> >
> > When I started this, I first tested that I could recreate the knoppix.iso
> > without doing any package deletion.  That worked, so I then went to work
> > pruning packages.  I did a big prune, and then made my iso going through
> > the above steps.  When booting with qemu, I got the error:
> >
> > 	"Couldn't find KNOPPIX filesystem . . "
> >
> > I then started the whole process of pruning over again, thinking that I may
> > have deleted a crucial package.  I then started to prune a few packages at
> > a time, creating an iso and testing with qemu.  I could create bootable
> > modified knoppix.iso that worked.
> >
> > However, I would occasionally, find that after deleting some packages and
> > recreating the iso, I would get the "Couldn't find KNOPPIX filesystem . .
> > ." error.  When I got this error, I would try and do the above two mkisofs
> > commands and test with qemu to see if the KNOPPIX filesystem error was
> > non-deterministic.
> >
> > I then tried to prune a few more packages from my "source" and recreate the
> > iso, and I was surprised to find that I created a bootable knoppix iso with
> > this new (slightly smaller package set) filesystem.
> >
> > When I got the "Couldn't find KNOPPIX filesystem . . " error, I never tried
> > to actually burn my iso and reboot with my new computer.  All testing of
> > "bootability" was through qemu.
> >
> > Why would the KNOPPIX filesystem errors present themself with a certain set
> [...]

It shouldn't make a difference! The formats are always compatible within
the same major version number (i.e. 0.x, 1.x, 2.x), and the cloop 2
format hasn't changed for Knoppix 5.0.1. Could it be that there is a
wrong/changed cloop package in Debian?! Eduard?

Here is the source for the current cloop, kernel module as well as
utilities:

http://debian-knoppix.alioth.debian.org/sources/cloop_2.04-1.tar.gz