Θέμα: Re: Knoppix 6 ?

Klaus Knopper <debian-knoppix@knopper.net> έγραψε:
On Fri, May 26, 2006 at 03:20:44PM -0400, Gilles wrote:
> Le 26 Mai 2006 03:53, vous avez ιcrit :
>
> > Hi Gilles,
>
> Guten Abend Klaus!
>
> > On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 07:45:58PM -0400, Gilles wrote:
> > > Given that there used to be a 0.0.1 release every second day,
> > > and that it's almost two months that 5.0.1 should have been
> > > released, I suppose the next release will be 6.
> >
> > Since the last public release was actually 4.0.2, there should be
> > no reason to skip 5.x, even that there have been a LOT of new
> > kernels between Cebit and now.
>
> And the final release of kernel 2.6.17 is supposed to be very soon.

Well, I'm getting kind of impatient, so I'll just take a git snapshot of
2.6.17. Who can predict that the final kernel-rc version will have less
bugs?

> With your present contribution to the Linux community, maybe you could
> be late in 20 years from now but, you know, there's so much noise
> about other Knoppix derivatives that somebody's got to say that the
> interest is still there for the basic product. Some people are
> eagerly waiting to see this latest release, in my case, mainly that
> I'm thinking about installing a new LInux distro pretty soon.

If you plan an installation anyways, you don't have to wait for a
Knoppix-release which is almost 100% pure Debian anyways. Just use
Debian. ;-)

Of course, the knoppix-installer should turn Knoppix into a standard
Debian installation, too.

> > > One really wonders what's going on. Maybe
> > > he's waiting for the release of the latest Kanotix so that people
> > > will say that Knoppix is Kanotix on steroids? :)
> >
> > I'm not as good as Kano concerning flowery descriptions, so let's
> > say we are just trying to get Knoppix, both the DVD and CD, to the
> > latest point of technology. :-)
> >
> > Btw, I already sent a "due date" to the list. As expected, (almost)
> > nobody has taken it serious. But, you never know. :-)
>
> I must confess I missed that one. So, June 2nd, even if the final
> release of 2.6.17 is not out?

Uhm, yes. :-)

About the knoppix installer and knoppix AFTER installation: I know that you always say that knoppix is a live cd. But how much Debian is knoppix after installation?
Kano and his kanotix is "selling" itself as pure debian sid  after installation.
What about knoppix? What are the differences after knoppix is installed if you compare it to an normal debian installation. For one I know that knoppix is using kudzu instead of discover and knoppix uses knoppix-hd-autoconfig that debian obversely does not use.
Also there will be an official debian live cd out soon. What do you think about that?
Why couldn't they just use knoppix instead?
It surely would be nice if knoppix could be 100% debian after install.

Note to Klaus: I failed miserably in remastering knoppix. Too many changes: udev, xorg, .... . June 2 is comming soon. I am monitoring your website all day long :-)
Kind regards

Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!