Re: Knoppix 6 ?

On Fri, May 26, 2006 at 03:20:44PM -0400, Gilles wrote:
> Le 26 Mai 2006 03:53, vous avez écrit :
>
> > Hi Gilles,
>
> Guten Abend Klaus!
>
> > On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 07:45:58PM -0400, Gilles wrote:
> > > Given that there used to be a 0.0.1  release every second day,
> > > and that it's almost two months that 5.0.1 should have been
> > > released, I suppose the next release will be 6.
> >
> > Since the last public release was actually 4.0.2, there should be
> > no reason to skip 5.x, even that there have been a LOT of new
> > kernels between Cebit and now.
>
> And the final release of kernel  2.6.17 is supposed to be very soon.

Well, I'm getting kind of impatient, so I'll just take a git snapshot of
2.6.17. Who can predict that the final kernel-rc version will have less
bugs?

> With your present contribution to the Linux community, maybe you could
> be late in 20 years from now but, you know, there's so much noise
> about other Knoppix derivatives that somebody's got to say that the
> interest is still there for the basic product. Some people are
> eagerly waiting to see this latest release, in my case, mainly that
> I'm thinking about installing a new LInux distro pretty soon.

If you plan an installation anyways, you don't have to wait for a
Knoppix-release which is almost 100% pure Debian anyways. Just use
Debian. ;-)

Of course, the knoppix-installer should turn Knoppix into a standard
Debian installation, too.

> > > One really wonders what's going on. Maybe
> > > he's waiting for the release of the latest Kanotix so that people
> > > will say that Knoppix is Kanotix on steroids? :)
> >
> > I'm not as good as Kano concerning flowery descriptions, so let's
> > say we are just trying to get Knoppix, both the DVD and CD, to the
> > latest point of technology. :-)
> >
> > Btw, I already sent a "due date" to the list. As expected, (almost)
> > nobody has taken it serious. But, you never know. :-)
>
> I must confess I missed that one. So, June 2nd, even if the final
> release of 2.6.17 is not out?

Uhm, yes. :-)