Re: Installing Knoppix 4.2 DVD edition

On Sat, May 27, 2006 at 09:37:34AM +0200, Nikola Atanasovski wrote:
> I try to install knoppix on hdd but no success i found small video for
> installing ( http://www.irongeek.com/i.php?page=videos/knoppix1 ). I use
> command knoppix-installer from root shell, everything is ok but at end dot
> boot I get error: Kernel Panic - not syncing : VFS: Unable to mount root FS
> on unknown-block(22,2) ,
> or in virtual machine Kernel Panic - not syncing : VFS: Unable to mount
> root FS on unknown-block(00,0).
>
> My configuration is Pentium 4 2,4ghz, 512mb ram, MB Asrock p4v88.
> Empty hdd on second IDE channel.
>
> Anyone can help?

It's a bug in the grub-based installer (well rather in isolinux because
the /proc/cmdline is messed up).

Installation will work in 4.0.2 (not 4.2, this doesn't exist) if you boot with
any boot option, like

knoppix dma

and then run the knoppix.installer later.

Second method:
If you don't want to run the entire installation again, just edit the
menu.list of grub (/boot/grub/menu.lst, I think) and add the correct
root=/dev/hdax partition and initrd=/path/to/initrd, and the Kernel
won't panic again because of finding no root file system.

Regards
-Klaus