Re: [debian-knoppix] questions / suggestions

On Sat, Apr 05, 2003 at 05:36:30PM +0200, Kai Lahmann wrote:
> Klaus Knopper wrote:
> >They do this to have a market advantage over other distributions, to be
> >the first ones to support new or exotic hardware, which is good for
> >marketing and sales, of course.
>
> mostly, yes...
>
> >But this is not a driving force for Knoppix development (at least not
> >for me personally). I assume that, taken into account the time it takes
> >for a new kernel release, the stuff included into the official stable
> >kernel has been tested thoroughly and seems to work well on the majority
> >of production computers.
>
> really? ;)
> ..thinking of apic, which seams to fail more often than work :(

APIC or ACPI? ;-)

I would say, ACPI is currently failing mor often than APIC.
If the board has a strange APIC chipset, network cards are commonly
detected well, but simply transmit no packets. If booting with
"knoppix noapic", they get the correct interrupts and work fine.

Some boards seem to REQUIRE apic, though, otherwise they freeze
immediately when initializing IRQs. That's why I switched to support
APIC, which can be turned off with the "noapic" option.

For ACPI, this is not so easy, and the kernel gets huge.