Re: [debian-knoppix] bootsplash

On Sat, Apr 05, 2003 at 04:57:08PM +0200, Kai Lahmann wrote:
> Klaus Knopper wrote:
> >I see one drawback: It needs to be 0 bytes in size to fit on the
> >el torito bootfloppy. The Linux kernel tends to grow in size with every
> >new release.
>
> we could gain some stace by dropping suppot for CPUs without an FPU
> (this is 66kbyte fat!), as Knoppix isn't that usefull on a i386 or
> i486SX....

Actually, one of my testing machine is a 486...

i386 is the most compatible option for kernel compilation. If you
include a Pentium-optimized kernel, it can get troublesome on some AMD
CPUs, at least that's what people have been telling me. :-/

> But there are more important things to chance before:
> -> bigmem support 4GB

This would create a kernel that simply crashes on older CPUs.

> -> enforce USB bandwith allocation

Is this compatible with all USB controllers/devices? I can enable this
option, no problem. But I'm not sure if it doesn't have bad side
effects.

> also some things should be changed about power management:
> -> add modules for ACPI

There are no "modules for ACPI". You either compile the Kernel for ACPI,
which changes a lot of code in ALL kernel modules and produces crashes
on the majority of older computers, or you don't, which allows you to
use APM which may or may not work, but at least it doesn't crash (very
often).

"ACPI" cannot be compiled as a module. It is a totally different scheme
for IRC routing and system configuration, and a standard that has yet to
be implemented properly, in hardware as well as in software.

> -> 2 changes on APM: "Allow interrupts during APM BIOS calls" and "Use
> real mode APM BIOS call to power off" - both to prevent some
> implementations from failing.

I tried "real mode APM BIOS call to power off". It crashes badly on
poweroff on most tested machines. The protected mode call seems to be
more reliable. It does not always work (i.e., no poweroff), but at least
it doesn't crash.

What is the advantage of allowing interrupts during APM BIOS calls? Is
it safe?

> p.s. am I the only one, who never learns to do a "reply all"?

Hit "g" as in "global reply" in mutt. ;-)

Klaus Knopper                           Technical Solutions & Finances
knopper@linuxtag.org                          http://www.linuxtag.org/
Phone +49-(0)631-3109371                        Fax +49-(0)631-3109372
LinuxTag 2003 - Europes largest Linux Expo       Where .com meets .org