Re: [debian-knoppix] bootsplash

On Sat, Apr 05, 2003 at 05:14:50PM +0200, Klaus Knopper wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 05, 2003 at 04:57:08PM +0200, Kai Lahmann wrote:
> > -> 2 changes on APM: "Allow interrupts during APM BIOS calls" and "Use
> > real mode APM BIOS call to power off" - both to prevent some
> > implementations from failing.
>
> I tried "real mode APM BIOS call to power off". It crashes badly on
> poweroff on most tested machines. The protected mode call seems to be
> more reliable. It does not always work (i.e., no poweroff), but at least
> it doesn't crash.

I have a machine that crashes on shutdown without the "real mode power
off" option; an oldish TMC motherboard, which "oops"es instead of powering
down.  Without modifying the kernel to allow real/protected mode to be
selected at run time, I think the best way to get these machines to power
down properly would be to include apm.o modules compiled both with and
without "real mode power off" and load one or the other, depending on a
boot option, after the kernel has booted.  Of course, this involves using
up more disk space to hold a second apm.o and so is probably impractical,
but it might be worth bearing in mind for future reference.

(On thinking about this, shouldn't it be possible for the kernel's
protected mode power-off code to first change the "oops" handler vector
to point to the real mode power-off code?)

--
Charles Briscoe-Smith             Hacking Free Software for fun and profit
Mead error: Connection reset by beer.  -- seen on IRC