Re: [debian-knoppix] bootsplash

Klaus Knopper wrote:
> Actually, one of my testing machine is a 486...

I guess an i486DX

> i386 is the most compatible option for kernel compilation. If you
> include a Pentium-optimized kernel, it can get troublesome on some AMD
> CPUs, at least that's what people have been telling me. :-/

no, not that option - only drop the FPU emulation! About the Pentium-Setting: we still have real i486 running Knoppix, slow but it works. As i486 doesn't give that much advance over i386 THIS doesn't help.

> This would create a kernel that simply crashes on older CPUs.

the 4GB-Setting, not 64GB!

> Is this compatible with all USB controllers/devices? I can enable this
> option, no problem. But I'm not sure if it doesn't have bad side
> effects.

as far as I know, it only prevents some problems if you have multiple devices with a high bandwith usage (as 2 USB-HDs)

> There are no "modules for ACPI". You either compile the Kernel for ACPI,
> which changes a lot of code in ALL kernel modules and produces crashes
> on the majority of older computers, or you don't, which allows you to
> use APM which may or may not work, but at least it doesn't crash (very
> often).

it's only the "OSPM" - the power management...

> I tried "real mode APM BIOS call to power off". It crashes badly on
> poweroff on most tested machines. The protected mode call seems to be
> more reliable. It does not always work (i.e., no poweroff), but at least
> it doesn't crash.

hm... can't test (here both crash

> What is the advantage of allowing interrupts during APM BIOS calls? Is
> it safe?

It prevents several IBM Thinkpads from crashing on doing a suspend.

Kai Lahmann