Re: [debian-knoppix] ReMastering Knoppix -- call for common platform and cooperation (LONG)

Hallo David,

> > We want to assemble it from scratch via downloading only
>
> SURE! We need to be able to MASTER, not just REmaster,
> and Klaus Knopper should only work on his packages ;-).
> and all should be part of std debian somehow.
>   (KK:  what do you think?)

I always thought that would be the job of the package maintainers. That is why Klaus always asks whether there is a debian package available, if someone begs "Please include software xy!"?

Or have I again get something wrong? Andreas Tille wrote something like "assemble from scratch", for me this means compiling from source, but that is what the maintainers do. Or do you want to make a system like gentoo? I don't think so. Further on you wrote something different!

> We need (re)mastering to be automated.
> WHY AUTOMATED?
>   Able to create 5 different distros
>     (desktop-kde, desktop-gnome, term-and-proxy-server, admin, desktop-games)
>   in very easy way, with czech, english and polish language defaults
>    (which is 5*3 iso images) without any work  in 15*30 minutes=7.5 hours.

That is what my script will do in the future, because that is what I shall need. My script with the basics from Th. Lange does basicly three things:
1) unpack a CD
2) customize knoppix
3) Build image and burn new CD

What you need is part 2)! If my script founds another script called custom.myknoppix-0.1.sh it executes it.

I am working now on making several apt-get remove/install scripts, like delete-games, add-my-software, Knoppix-without-monitor, knoppix with my favorate packages ....

In the moment it does one image/distro at a time and even that needs action by the user. But I realy like the idea of makeing several distros in one go, like development, games, office, server, maybe even a stable:-)), non-beta version.

>  run a script, go to bed and in the morning.....
>  15 different iso images created and ready for distribution!
> THIS WOULD SAVE LOTS OF WORK, especially for KK ;)

YES, but I doubt whether that will really work. From what I have done up to now I found that it is not just apt-get install! There are always errors, because of unmet dependencies, because of hardware errors, because the packages that do not work and other errors. I wonder what Klaus thinks about this. Will it really be possible without user interaction?

> There should be a COMMON PLATFORM for developing and mastering
> for all of us, even for script-kiddies.
> And we should make developing for this platform easy.
>
> BASIC PART OF COMMONG PLATFORM SHOULD BE
> SET OF CONFIG FILES

I think I could agree on that for later versions.

> There could be different reusable tools
>  (gui,another implementation)  when we can agree to config files.
>  it will allow us to cooperate, help each other easily.
>
>    if you like this idea, but not my conf.files or scripts, please tell me
> where the problem is, propose/write better, but please cooperate, if you can!
> Do not let us split efforts and user bases much.
> I am open to being merged in another project - project name or leader is
> not important - important is COMMON platform and COOPERATION.

> btw: Achim Unger, Chris Liechti:
>   you did a  great work, do you think you can accept
>   settings in config files?  is there any problem? why?
>   XML Config should be better?

Please no XML! It is getting too complex. The way you are using it now is perfect for bash. It looks like my ini-scipt. Just the names are different.

>   I am really concerned about not splitting our efforts,
>   if there is possibility to do it together ;-)

I can understand that, but later on you wrote: "bash sucks, better use phyton". I don't know phyton, but I am NOT learning another programming language. I stick with bash, actually it has been RMS's bash I felt in love with, not linux (although I did not realise it at that time). I think it is the best choise for this job, at least from my point of view. If I am ever gonna learn a new programming language, it will be JAVA. But I don't thing that will ever happen:-( Maybe we could run the project as a webpage, where every user uses a JAVA-Server-Pages system to genarate an imgage on the sever ; NO NOT REALLY, just kidding ;-) TOO much load for the poor servers.

One problem for me is, I need a customized CD. That is why I had to write a working script. My approach to the problem is rather practical and might lead to confusion when expanded;-)

I think the varibles are ok. Just one tip: Don't use /mnt, I know I am useing it too, but it is not a good choise and I will use a different one in later versions. The reason is, when I need a dir to mount something, I am useing /mnt and I don't like two different directories mounted on /mnt.

> i am proposing [and have written]:
>    * set of config files in ~/.knoppix/ReMaster.conf
>           scroll down for example
>       [done, needs some work]
>
>    * sudo configured to make it work under normal user /
>           [done, needed 'mount, chroot, cp, du' ]
>
>    * knx-chroot Remaster
>           entering Remaster (mounting, chrooting...)
>           [ done ]
>    * knx-chroot Remaster command [; command]
>          running 'command; command; command | command' inside Remaster
>          example:
>             knx-chroot myremaster apt-get update; apt-get install gkrellm
>           [ done ]
>    * knx-apply-configured-settings
>           script to set languane, boot/background picture, .......
>           [ first version done, bash sucks --> python would be better
>             will do a rewrite soon]
>    * knx-makeiso Remaster
>           script to make iso
>           [ working on it now - had a few days break ]
>    * knx-get-from-orig Remaster
>           script to extract files from Knoppix CD,
>           iso or KNOPPIX compressed file
>           [ needs some work, now working with
>             files extracted from knoppix compr. file ]
>    * ... few more tools [working]:
>             knx-pkgsizes remaster_id
>             knx-estimate-imagesize remaster_id
>
>   now what should come:
>    * script to build minimal set of files forming basic REMASTER
>       from the scratch,
>          somethig like knx-debootstrap
>           **I NEED HELP**

THAT will be one of my next goals. I want to know how much can be removed from knoppix. What are the minimal sets of packages that are needed for Hardware detection with X11 and twm.

There are several source I will investigate:

rmpack= in Th. Lange mkmyknoppix.sh
kix knoppix-mini distro
my personal laptop with debian on 350 MB Filespace

I will see what packages are on these systems? Having a better solution to the problem?

>    * ???
>
> Goals:
>   - script-kiddies remastering linux, creating new knoppix every 30 minutes.
Puh!
>   - easy and AUTOMATED Remastering AND Mastering of knoppix,
>     based on set of config files.
>     automated means that mounts, umounts, cleaning caches ... checking space
>      is done transparently without manual work ;)
Uff!