Re: [debian-knoppix] ReMastering Knoppix -- call for common platform and cooperation (LONG)

hi david,

On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 05:16:12PM +0100, David Pravec wrote:
> We need (re)mastering to be automated.
> WHY AUTOMATED?
>   Able to create 5 different distros
>     (desktop-kde, desktop-gnome, term-and-proxy-server, admin, desktop-games)
>   in very easy way, with czech, english and polish language defaults
>    (which is 5*3 iso images) without any work  in 15*30 minutes=7.5 hours.

>  run a script, go to bed and in the morning.....
>  15 different iso images created and ready for distribution!
> THIS WOULD SAVE LOTS OF WORK, especially for KK ;)

that's the idea of what we're trying to do.  currently we're focusing
on a different aspect though (seeing what really needs to be specific
to knoppix and what can be replaced by or added to packages in debian)

>    if you like this idea, but not my conf.files or scripts, please tell me
> where the problem is, propose/write better, but please cooperate, if you can!
> Do not let us split efforts and user bases much.
> I am open to being merged in another project - project name or leader is
> not important - important is COMMON platform and COOPERATION.

i'll take a look at what you've done.  andreas tille and i and a few others
are currently trying to do this (but we'd been more focusing on the
knoppix-specific packages and if/how they could be integrated into debian
proper)

if your scripts work pretty well, i propose as a next step to set up
an apt-repository (i'll volunteer the space/bandwidth for this for the
time being), and place all the knoppix-specific packages in there.  that
way, while we're busy sorting out what needs to be knoppix-specific (patched)
and what can be replaced by something in debian-proper, work can still get
done on other things...

>   I am really concerned about not splitting our efforts,
>   if there is possibility to do it together ;-)

a good concern.  have you read back in the past couple week's worth
of the mailing list?  if you haven't i highly recommend that you do.

>    * knx-chroot Remaster
>           entering Remaster (mounting, chrooting...)
>           [ done ]
>    * knx-chroot Remaster command [; command]
>          running 'command; command; command | command' inside Remaster
>          example:
>             knx-chroot myremaster apt-get update; apt-get install gkrellm
>           [ done ]

how are these different from a normal chroot?

>    * knx-makeiso Remaster
>           script to make iso
>           [ working on it now - had a few days break ]

just to give you warning, the metadistros folks have scripts that do
this already, and we're waiting on a translated version.

>    * knx-get-from-orig Remaster
>           script to extract files from Knoppix CD,
>           iso or KNOPPIX compressed file
>           [ needs some work, now working with
>             files extracted from knoppix compr. file ]

this could be useful.  also, being able to list the files would
be nice too.

>   now what should come:
>    * script to build minimal set of files forming basic REMASTER
>       from the scratch,
>          somethig like knx-debootstrap
>           **I NEED HELP**

this should be trivial, i wouldn't worry about it.  just

deboostrap sid targetdir
echo $debian_knoppix_repository_location > targetdir/etc/apt/sources.list
(maybe some other default repos too)
chroot targetdir apt-get update
chroot targetdir apt-get install knoppix-base
(knoppix-base would be a metapackage Depending on all knoppix-specific
packages)

> PLEASE
>   -- anyone willing to help me with this?
>   -- or try my set of scripts, test them (in few days...)?

i'll take a look at them and let you know

	sean