[debian-knoppix] Re: remastering Knoppix CD

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003, Achim Unger wrote:

> > So our project would be a solution for you: Just download the stuff
> > you really need.  Perhaps using some Debian-CDs before obtaining the
> > remanining things from the net.
>
> NOW, I see what you and sean finney are working on! You want to unpack
> KNOPPIX on HD, load just the new packages from internet and remaster
> KNOPPIX, right?
WRONG.  We do not want to unpack it.  We just want to do it the other
way around.  We want to assemble it from scratch via downloading only
the necessary bits.  A "complete" assembly would/could/shoud end in an
original Knoppix, but many people want their own Knoppix and we want
to support this by keeping their download effort low while taking as
much workload from Klaus Knoppers shoulder as we could.

> Well, the script from Thomas Lange does this,
Please try to understand: This script is a great help but it does a
completely different job.

> A chroot to the
> uncompressed KNOPPIX, apt-get update; apt-get upgrade and a remastering
> should do it what you want, at least in theory.
No it does not.
Moreover once Klaus Knopper decides to change something this script has
to be changed, too.

> But according to this
> mailing list there had been Problems in doing so. :-((
And you are currently bussy to solve this problems. ;-)
We just try to avoid these toubles by not relaying on a fixed ISO image
but create it from scratch.  In my opinion the optimum solution would
be, if Klaus Knopper would use this system for his own official CD.  But
at first it must start working because people obviousely do not understand
the power of this kind of system.

> > > I want to build a script, that reads a CD, start chroot bash to
> > > modify it, make the iso-image and burn it if you have a CD-Writer in
> > > addition to the cd knoppix is running from!
> > The idea is to obtain this image once and just obtain the changed
> > things via "apt-get upgrade".  This would definitely save your small
> > bandwidth.
>
> So, we are working on the same problem. Maybe tomorrow I will relase
> my script, or bette the improved version by Th. Lange. I have to test
> it once on a different machine to see it works.
Sorry, I was referencing to Thomas script and my remark was obviousely
confusing.

> > > I hope I hve not understood your project wrong, have I?
> > I hope this (and seans) mail clarify things.
>
> NOW, I understand:-))
>
> Could one possible solution be, setting up one server with deb packages
> and modify sources.list, so all packages ae loaded from there? One
> problem might be where can we find the filespace!?
We have the file space on Debian mirrors all over the world.  We just have
to add these tiny bits which make the difference from Knoppix to Debian.

Kind regards

        Andreas.