[debian-knoppix] Re: ReMastering Knoppix -- call for common platform and cooperation (LONG)

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003, Achim Unger wrote:

> I always thought that would be the job of the package maintainers. That is why Klaus always asks whether there is a debian package available, if someone begs "Please include software xy!"?
May be I missed something but I never noticed that Klaus filed bugs against
wnpp virtual package tagged RFP (request for packaging) to the Debian
BTS which is the official way to ask for packages.  But so did I for
imaze in the past, SelfLinux recently (it will be included soon) and will
do for all the packages I tagged RFP in Seans great list (if no other will
be faster than me - which would be great because I would see that people
understand the problem).

> Or have I again get something wrong?
Yes, you really did.

> Andreas Tille wrote something like "assemble from scratch",
Which means assemble the list of installed packages for the Knoppix ISO
to build new from a Debian mirror.

> for me this means compiling from source,
NOOOO.  We really do not want to compile anything.  We want to speed
up building a Knoppix CD, not slowing it down.

> but that is what the maintainers do.
Yes.  We want to ask maintainers for enhancing their packages to fit
Knoppix needs.  This wold make Debian better and Knoppix derivates
more flexible.

> Or do you want to make a system like gentoo?
Perhaps somebody likes this to do, but this was really not my intention.

> I don't think so. Further on you wrote something different!
Uhmm, I'm facing the fact that a whole lot of people try to missunderstand
me.  This is a quite new situation for me. ;-)
Fortunately those who catched the idea do a really great job to clarify
and start working on it.

> That is what my script will do in the future, because that is what I shall need. My script with the basics from Th. Lange does basicly three things:
You missed
0) Obtaining the CD
> 1) unpack a CD
We want to leave out step 0) and 1). That's all.

> 2) customize knoppix
> 3) Build image and burn new CD
>
> What you need is part 2)! If my script founds another script called custom.myknoppix-0.1.sh it executes it.
We just need step 1.5): Bootstrap Knoppix.  Perhaps you should have a really
deep look into debootstrap package.  This was the inspiration for my idea.

> I am working now on making several apt-get remove/install scripts, like delete-games, add-my-software, Knoppix-without-monitor, knoppix with my favorate packages ....
Please try to understand the idea.  I'm really sure you will like it and
then you will be able to leave out the "apt-get remove" part.

> In the moment it does one image/distro at a time and even that needs action by the user. But I realy like the idea of makeing several distros in one go, like development, games, office, server, maybe even a stable:-)), non-beta version.
You obviousely want to reach the same goal, but your goal requires work
on your side every time Klaus Knopper decides to change his package list.
We just want to go a different way to the goal and I have reasons to
think that our way is longer and more complicated in the first step but
will lead to better results in the end.

> YES, but I doubt whether that will really work. From what I have done up to now I found that it is not just apt-get install! There are always errors, because of unmet dependencies,
The dependencies will be resolved automatically by Debian mirrors.  The problems
you are facing are a result by the distribution mix of official Debian
stable/testing/unstable and several other mirrors.  This is exactly what we
want to avoid - or let it do the Knoppix builder on their own risk.

> because of hardware errors,
Hmm, this will be true for each way.

> because the packages that do not work
Just use stable and all packages will work.

> and other errors. I wonder what Klaus thinks about this. Will it really be possible without user interaction?
For sure you will need some user interaction like maintaining a list
of packages to install.

> THAT will be one of my next goals. I want to know how much can be removed from knoppix. What are the minimal sets of packages that are needed for Hardware detection with X11 and twm.
Great - and once you found it out just build a Debian package out of this
stuff.  This would be a perfect package for the goal to Re^H^HMaster a
Knoppix CD.

> > Goals:
> >   - script-kiddies remastering linux, creating new knoppix every 30 minutes.
> Puh!
Why not?

> >   - easy and AUTOMATED Remastering AND Mastering of knoppix,
> >     based on set of config files.
> >     automated means that mounts, umounts, cleaning caches ... checking space
> >      is done transparently without manual work ;)
> Uff!
Why not?

I did not thought of this in the first place - but it would be absolutely
possible if we try to realize the Knoppix-Mastering plan.

Kind regards

           Andreas.