[debian-knoppix] ReMastering Knoppix -- call for common platform and cooperation (LONG)

> We want to assemble it from scratch via downloading only
> the necessary bits.  A "complete" assembly would/could/shoud end in an
> original Knoppix, but many people want their own Knoppix and we want
> to support this by keeping their download effort low while taking as
> much workload from Klaus Knoppers shoulder as we could.
>        Andreas.

SURE! We need to be able to MASTER, not just REmaster,
and Klaus Knopper should only work on his packages ;-).
and all should be part of std debian somehow.
  (KK:  what do you think?)

We need (re)mastering to be automated.
WHY AUTOMATED?
  Able to create 5 different distros
    (desktop-kde, desktop-gnome, term-and-proxy-server, admin, desktop-games)
  in very easy way, with czech, english and polish language defaults
   (which is 5*3 iso images) without any work  in 15*30 minutes=7.5 hours.

 run a script, go to bed and in the morning.....
 15 different iso images created and ready for distribution!
THIS WOULD SAVE LOTS OF WORK, especially for KK ;)

There should be a COMMON PLATFORM for developing and mastering
for all of us, even for script-kiddies.
And we should make developing for this platform easy.

BASIC PART OF COMMONG PLATFORM SHOULD BE
SET OF CONFIG FILES

There could be different reusable tools
 (gui,another implementation)  when we can agree to config files.
 it will allow us to cooperate, help each other easily.

   if you like this idea, but not my conf.files or scripts, please tell me
where the problem is, propose/write better, but please cooperate, if you can!
Do not let us split efforts and user bases much.
I am open to being merged in another project - project name or leader is
not important - important is COMMON platform and COOPERATION.

btw: Achim Unger, Chris Liechti:
  you did a  great work, do you think you can accept
  settings in config files?  is there any problem? why?
  XML Config should be better?

  I am really concerned about not splitting our efforts,
  if there is possibility to do it together ;-)

i am proposing [and have written]:
   * set of config files in ~/.knoppix/ReMaster.conf
          scroll down for example
      [done, needs some work]

   * sudo configured to make it work under normal user /
          [done, needed 'mount, chroot, cp, du' ]

   * knx-chroot Remaster
          entering Remaster (mounting, chrooting...)
          [ done ]
   * knx-chroot Remaster command [; command]
         running 'command; command; command | command' inside Remaster
         example:
            knx-chroot myremaster apt-get update; apt-get install gkrellm
          [ done ]
   * knx-apply-configured-settings
          script to set languane, boot/background picture, .......
          [ first version done, bash sucks --> python would be better
            will do a rewrite soon]
   * knx-makeiso Remaster
          script to make iso
          [ working on it now - had a few days break ]
   * knx-get-from-orig Remaster
          script to extract files from Knoppix CD,
          iso or KNOPPIX compressed file
          [ needs some work, now working with
            files extracted from knoppix compr. file ]
   * ... few more tools [working]:
            knx-pkgsizes remaster_id
            knx-estimate-imagesize remaster_id

  now what should come:
   * script to build minimal set of files forming basic REMASTER
      from the scratch,
         somethig like knx-debootstrap
          **I NEED HELP**
   * ???

Goals:
  - script-kiddies remastering linux, creating new knoppix every 30 minutes.
  - easy and AUTOMATED Remastering AND Mastering of knoppix,
    based on set of config files.
    automated means that mounts, umounts, cleaning caches ... checking space
     is done transparently without manual work ;)
  - totally extensible
  - gui frontend possible

PLEASE
  -- anyone willing to help me with this?
  -- or try my set of scripts, test them (in few days...)?

     my jabber ID is  'alekibango | at |  jabber.cz'
     irc user: alekibango  or a8o on #knoppix (irc.freenode.net)

     David Pravec (alekibango)

------------
example of my default config file right now:

##default.conf-BEG##############################
##
## copy this to your ~/.knoppix/etc/
## and place your remastering config somename.conf in the same dir, too

##
##
## Please note: lines starting >>  # future #  <<
## have no related tools implemented right now
## but they should be in future versions,
## they are waiting for your help ;)

KNX_TITLE="Another Knoppix Remaster"
# future # KNX_REMASTERED_BY="David Pravec <alekibango@zug.cz>"

## source of knoppixfiles -- Original knoppix to be remastered
#  TYPE:
# future #  KNOPPIX   --> big, compressed iso file (/cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX)
# future #  ISO       --> iso image (downloaded from knoppix.net)
# future #  KISO      --> uncompressed KNOPPIX file (is an iso image)
# future #  BOOTSTRAP --> will do knoppix from the scratch (mastering)
# future #  SYSTEM    --> will create bootable copy of system
#                         as it is running now ;)
#
#           KDIR       --> directory contained mounted KISO or files copied
#                from KISO (eg. boot from Knoppix and COPY /KNOPPIX
#                to harddisk using cp -ax /KNOPPIX /path/to/knop/original

# future # KNX_ORIGINAL=/mnt/space/knoppix/knoppix-small-2003.06.12.iso

#only one working well is 'KDIR' today;
KNX_ORIGINAL_TYPE="KDIR"
KNX_ORIGINAL="/mnt/space/knoppix/original"

#  this contains directory with your linux
#  you are making your customizations here
#  usually using knx-chroot command
KNX_SOURCE=/mnt/space/knoppix/lite

# this will be added into cd root
# should contain KNOPPIX dir, but not
# the large file KNOPPIX in it.
# this is the place you are doing modifications
KNX_CD_FILES_SOURCE="/mnt/space/knoppix/lite-cd-source"

#This is temporary folder for Knoppix CD IMAGE
#could/should  be erased before/after creating iso.
KNX_TARGET_TMP_DIR="/mnt/space/knoppix/target-tmpdir"

#where to place new remaster iso file?
KNX_REMASTERED_ISO="/home/john/knoppix-remastered.iso"

#cdrom size for remaster
# future # KNX_REMASTERED_ISO_TARGET_SIZE=703

#this is for czech people, use your own lang
KNX_LANGUAGE="cs"

# future # KNX_DONT_PROBE_MODULES="cmpci"

#default screen resolution
# future # KNX_SCREEN="800x600"

#default keyboard
# future # KNX_XkbModel="pc104"
# future # KNX_XkbLayout="czsk"

#default desktop  environment
# should be fluxbox|gnome|icewm|kde|larswm|twm|wmaker|xfce
# future # KNX_DEFAULT_DESTOP=kdm

#mouse (gpm|serial|ps2|imps2)
# future # KNX_MOUSE=imps2

#default boot image
# future # KNX_BOOTIMAGE=knoppix

#other boot parameters:
# future # KNX_BOOTPARAMS="2 vga=790"

#
# PARAMETERS AFFECTING INSTALLED PACKAGES
#
#list of packages to install: (output of dpkg --get-selections)
#when not specified, default packages from knxsource
#will be used
# future # KNX_LIST_OF_PACKAGES=/some/where/packages.txt

#other packages we want to apt-get install
# future # KNX_ADD_PACKAGES="dpkg-awk pydf ngrep gkrellm "

#other packages we want to for sure to apt-get remove:
# future # KNX_REMOVE_PACKAGES="xemacs21 emacs20 emacs21"

#packages to remove, if more space is needed (in given order)
#this could be runned by automatic iso creator -- which will
#estimate the image size and
#remove some of those packages to fit size of medium
# future # KNX_REMOVE_PACKAGES_TO_FIT_MEDIUM="tetex-base"

##what else?
#.....
#.....