Re: [debian-knoppix] Re: Analyzing Knoppix extra stuff (Was: knoppix/bootcd like software?)

On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 10:56:18AM -0500, sean finney wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 02:31:44PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > > be very clear.  also, we can send a patch to the upstream as well, and
> > > see what they think of having a builtin mount...  also, are there
> > > any other alternatives?  i think
> > I hope.  But this is really outside of my field of interest / knowledge.
>
> okay, so i guess we need an authorative "yes, busybox will work" or
> "no, we really need ash for the time being" from herr knoppers, or
> someone else knowledgable...

Well, I do need a statically linked shell with the following features:

- Size "as small as possible", currently: 150k, desired: 50k

- (Additional, to standard ash) builtin programs: cat (read doesn't handle
binary files) , insmod, rmmod, lsmod, mount, umount

- working interactive mode. Busybox does not seem to work if you call it
  with /path/to/shellalias < /dev/console >/dev/console 2>&1 from a
  script.

It would be nice if mount was NFS-capable, but mounting local devices
is sufficient for the boot floppy.

You should look at /linuxrc on miniroot.gz to see what commands are
needed until the CD is found and the compressed image is mounted via
cloop.

Greetings from CeBIT
-Klaus