Re: [debian-knoppix] Re: Analyzing Knoppix extra stuff (Was: knoppix/bootcd like software?)

On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 08:11:32PM +0100, Klaus Knopper wrote:
> Well, I do need a statically linked shell with the following features:
>
> - Size "as small as possible", currently: 150k, desired: 50k

does this have to be the static or the dynamic binary?  if you need
it static, i think we ought to make a static package of ash and
submit it to debian (there is no static version of dash presently).

> - (Additional, to standard ash) builtin programs: cat (read doesn't handle
> binary files) , insmod, rmmod, lsmod, mount, umount

busybox handles all of this i believe.

> - working interactive mode. Busybox does not seem to work if you call it
>   with /path/to/shellalias < /dev/console >/dev/console 2>&1 from a
>   script.

i'm sure it does, because it's what debian uses on their installer :)
perhaps that cmdline invocation won't work?  now that i'm messing around
with it, it seems like the non-static version of busybox doesn't have
built-in sh.  try the static one (however, the static version is an
unfortunate 900k).  i can't imagine them using that on the debian
boot floppy, i'll look into how that's being done...

> It would be nice if mount was NFS-capable, but mounting local devices
> is sufficient for the boot floppy.

i think busybox does support this, though i think it may already
be disqualified for reasons outlined above.  or.. perhaps we could
package up a busybox-static-diet package?  how much would diet libc
save us for something like this?

> You should look at /linuxrc on miniroot.gz to see what commands are
> needed until the CD is found and the compressed image is mounted via
> cloop.

will do.

	sean