Re: [debian-knoppix] Analyzing Knoppix extra stuff (Was: knoppix/bootcd like software?)

hiya fabian,

On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 08:03:58PM +0100, Fabian Franz wrote:
> > ash 0.2-3 BSD
>
> It would not, as Klaus' ash also has an build-in "mount" command, which Klaus
> needs, because the boot.img should fit still on a floppy-disk. (1.44 MB is
> not much space, if you want to have many modules there)

have you looked into busybox?  i think it may be a *little* bigger though.
otherwise, we should rename it and update the description so it will
be very clear.  also, we can send a patch to the upstream as well, and
see what they think of having a builtin mount...  also, are there
any other alternatives?  i think the less stuff we have patched
the better.

> Please also note that the knopstrap-script must dynamically create this
> boot.img, the miniroot and copy the syslinux.cfg, boot-logo, etc.

yeah.  there's another project "metadistros" put on by the hispalinux
users group, which we'll be tapping on for this most certainly as well.
from what i understand, they already have tools to do most of this (in
spanish, being translated as we speak), but these are all things we will
have to do.

> I'm mentioning it only, because it was not in your list ... Or I have overseen
> it :-)

wasn't mentioned in the file, but it was in discussion on the debian-devel
list before we brought the party over here :)  we still need to make a roadmap
that states all of this, our plans, et c., and i think my "quick audit"
is already showing it's clunkiness as a reference, though.

> mkinitrd-script of debian will not work with standard knx-kernel.
>
> As: - mkinitrd uses cramfs (not in knx-kernel).
>       - mkinitrd uses mount and this does not work with Klaus' ash. (mount -nt
> is not accepted by the builtin mount for example.)
> [So one needs to install the native ash; gave me a real headache when I tried
> to use ext3 with knoppix for the first time, also see archives if you are
> interested in the "discussion" :-)]

and it's not in the knoppix kernel because of size issues?  either way,
good to know.  i'll throw a note in the package audit file for lack of
a better place, just to make sure that we don't let this one bite us
in the ass a little later.

> > hwsetup 1.0-10	GPL
> > 	http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/
> > 	+ knoppix native
> > 	p ftbfs, i think it's missing a Build-Depends entry
> >         ! I'm unsure whether this should be integrated into knopstrap.
> > Please could somebody comment on it?
>
> Necessary!

yeah.  someone's already sent me a patch that fixes the Build-Depends issue,
too.  am i correct in assuming that this will unfortunately work only
on i386 though?

> > knoppix-hdinstall	0.37-1	GPL
> Btw. Url is:
>
> http://www.itm.tu-clausthal.de/~perle/knx/

fixed, thanks.

> It has templates of files in its own archive which are unpacked to
> /usr/local/lib/knx-templates-$SVERSION.tgz
>
> This templates are needed for the new hd-installed system to be more like
> debian and no longer like knoppix. So cleaned up /etc/inittab, good
> runlevels, ...

okay, well _really_ need to give this one a good looking over then...

> Btw. Is there a debian packet tiny-tools ? That included tiny-mount,
> tiny-pivot_root and so on ?

well there's busybox, but i don'tknow about pivot_root...

> > knoppix-terminalserver	0.5-9	GPL
>
> I would like this too ... Its a good idea, however there are some
> knoppix-specific things, like the boot wiht logging in user knppix and so on

i think this would make a great debian package if it could be abstracted
away from knoppix.  i've had to set up my own tftpd/rarpd boot servers in
the past.  real headaches.

> > netcardconfig-knoppix	0.5-9	GPL
>
> It is a really, really nice tool! I would like an include!

i've certainly had nothing but good experience with it.

anyway, thanks for all the input!

	sean