[debian-knoppix] Analyzing Knoppix extra stuff (Was: knoppix/bootcd like software?)

(Noel Koethe in CC because of hwdata question)
(Christian Perle in CC because of knoppix-hdinstall)
(Andreas Müller in CC because of turkish keyboard stuff in keyboard-tr-knoppix)

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, sean finney wrote:

> > http://cs.swarthmore.edu/~finney/debian/knoppix_packaging.txt
Thanks.  You did a very good job here!

> from what i could tell many of the packages had issues but most
> of them were relatively minor.  but before we dive into really
> messing around with everything, i think there's quite a bit of package
> consolidation that could go on with some of these packages, many of
> which only contain a script or two per-package.  how about a
> "knoppix-util" package for these?  we could also have a -data package,
> since much of this is architecture-independant scripts, and i see
> this eventually being able to work on arch's besides i386 (at least
> to varying extents)
This is exactly what I think about this issue.  This whole lot of packages
with just one script or menu entry is confusing.  While thinking about
handling this stuff the following procedure was coming into my mind:

   Some stuff is needed even for very basic Knoppix derivates other only
   for KDE-Menu stuff.  To handle this we would have to solutions:

   1. Write a tool which can be controlled by commandline options to
      handle different needs of the target Knoppix
   2. Create a config file via debconf which contains the relevant information
      what should be included.

The second solution has the advantage of easy to get GUI while depending
more or less from root access (dpkg-reconfigure or edit /etc/knoppix.conf).
Perhaps a combination of both might do the job best where options override
configuration.

> also, i think some of the packages may be able to be replaced by actual
> debian-proper packages.  for example ash could be replaced by dash (or
> some other static-linked shell), right?
Definitely.

> anyway, the floor's open for comments...
I think we have three groups of packages at the knoppix site:

     1. Those simple packages which should be handled as described above.
     2. Those who just have to be packaged for Debian (marked with RFP
        in the list below)
     3. Those who needs comments from Klaus (marked with ! in the list
        below)

Thanks for your fine work Sean.  Find my comments to the list included and
feel free to put this revised list in the place where I found it.

Kind regards

         Andreas.

--- a "quick" audit of knoppix-specific and knoppix-ported packages ---

	sean finney - Wed, 12 Mar 2003 01:22:15 -0500
	Andreas Tille <tille@debian.org> - Thu, 13 Mar 2003

the current format i'm using is:

packagename version license-type
	upstream url
	+ diff/modifications comment
	p packaging comment
	- other comment
   (at)   additional comments by Andreas Tille
        K target for future knopstrap package (see below)
      RFP could someone check and issue an RFP bug if this makes sense for general use
      BTS Packages which might be necessary to enhance in Debian to fit Knoppix needs
        ! Attention to Klaus Knopper - please comment

AT> I decided to withdraw the knopootstrap idea to clone debootstrap and
    just build a package which contains all smaller scripts or configuration
    changes which could be moved by a script to directory created by native
    debootstrap.  This package could get the name knopstrap as suggested
    in private mail.  Alternatively we grab the names knoppix-util or
    knoppix-data as sean suggested.

if i say it's "knoppix native", it's because Klaus Knopper was listed as
the upstream author, or it was very apparent from the package that
it's written specifically for knoppix (and not ported)

also, i wouldn't take my assume that non-"native" sources haven't been
modified just because they don't come with diffs, i think it would be
good to verify against pristine sources from upstream.

ash 0.2-3 BSD
	http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/
	+ doesn't ship with a diff but still modified
	+ uses dietlibc instead of... libc5?
	+ has home-rolled version of rmmod
	p lintian: 1E, 1W
	p linda: 1E
	- replaced by ash 0.3.8-37 in woody
	- replaced by dash 0.4.10 (another port of ash) in sid
   (at)   Klaus, could you comment whether a Debian native ash / dash would be OK?

checkmem 0.5-2 GPL
	http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/
	+ knoppix native package (but has diffs)
	p lintian: 2E, 2W
	p linda: 2E
	p i believe the Arch field in this one is wrong
      RFP Any comments to make a native package from this?

cloop 0.67-2 GPL
	http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/
	+ knoppix native package
	p actually two packages, -module and -utils
	p lintian: 1W (-util was clean)
	p linda: 2E, 1W (-util was clean)
	- ships in unstable as 0.67-3 ?
   (at)   Klaus, could you comment whether cloop-{module,utils} could be used

cupsconfig-knoppix 0.5-6 GPL
	http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/
	+ knoppix native package
	p lintian: 3E, 2W
	p linda: 2E
        K just some single files which might be easy to copy to KNOPPIX dir

e1000	3.1.23-1 BSD (or DFSG compliant, anyway)
	http://support.intel.com/support/go/linux/e1000.htm
	p lintian: 2W
	p linda: 1E, 3W
	p Arch wrong?
      RFP

etcskel-knoppix	0.5-20	GPL
	http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/
	+ knoppix native package
	p section base, priority optional?
	p lintian: 2E, 5W
	p linda: 2W
	K might be also interesting for Debian-Desktop project

hwdata-knoppix 0.44-3 Dual GPL/XFree86
	ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/rawhide/SRPMS/SRPMS/
    ??? URL does not work
	some other versions available at
	     http://speakeasy.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=hwdata
	there is also a Debian package, could someone please verify the best solution
	(updating Debian package perhaps, Noel?)
	p lintian: 1E
	p linda: ok

hwsetup 1.0-10	GPL
	http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/
	+ knoppix native
	p ftbfs, i think it's missing a Build-Depends entry
        ! I'm unsure whether this should be integrated into knopstrap. Please
          could somebody comment on it?

imaze	1.4-4	BSD-Like (DFSG ok)
	http://home.tu-clausthal.de/student/iMaze/files/
	p ftbfs, i think it's missing Build-Depends
     BTS  Debian package available. Just file bug reports if something is wrong

isdn-config	0.21-1	GPL
	ftp://ftp.redhat.de/pub/rh-addons/isdn/7.0/SRPMS/isdn-config-0.18-10.70.src.rpm
	+ don't think it's knoppix native, but no patch
	p ftbfs, i think it's missing Build-Depends
      RFP Someone with ISDN knowledge might please comment here.  Please compare
          with Debian packages isdnutils, ipppd or whatever

k3b	0.7.5-1	GPL
	http://k3b.sourceforge.net/
	+ don't think it's knoppix native, but no patch
	p ftbfs, missing Build-Depends on qt libs at least
      RFP Seems definitely to be a target for integration into Debian, new
          version available upstream

kbdconfig	0.5-3	GPL
	http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/
	+ knoppix-native
	p Arch is wrong
	p lintian: 3E, 2W
	p linda: 2E
	K just a single script

kdelock-knoppix	0.5	GPL
	http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/sources/
	+ knoppix native
	p just a single wrapper sh script (not bothering to build)
	K just a single script

kde-update-menu-knoppix	0.5-4	GPL
	http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/sources/
	+ knoppix native, but has patches
	p Arch is wrong
	p lintian: 2E, 3W
	p linda: 1E
	K Should be chacked before integration into knopstrap

keyboard-tr-knoppix	0.5-2	GPL
	http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/sources/
	+ knoppix native
	p single file, not bothering building
      BTS I guess this is just a hack to work around a broken file of console-data
          (amu, could you check this and file an bug accordingly)

knoppix-bookmarks	0.5-2	GPL
	http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/sources/
	+ knoppix native, has patches
	p Arch...
	K carget for configuration stuff of knopstrap

knoppix-hdinstall	0.37-1	GPL
	http://www.itm.tu-clausthal.de/~perle/
	+ knoppix native
	p wierd, has tarfiles of its own files inside it
	K could Christian Perle please comment on this

knoppix-menu	0.5-1	GPL
	Klaus Knopper <knoppix@knopper.net> (that's what it says...)
	+ knoppix native
	p lintian: 3E, 2W
	p linda: 2E

knoppix-remountrw	0.5-2	GPL
	http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/sources/
	+ knoppix native
	p lintian: 2E, 2W
	p linda: 2E

knoppix-terminalserver	0.5-9	GPL
	http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/
	+ knoppix native
	p lintian: 4E, 3W
	p linda: 3E
	! I'm waiting for comments - might be a little bit nifty. I would love
	  to see this as real Debian package which might some developer sponsor

logo-knoppix	3.1-1	artistic
	http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/
	+ knoppix native
	p lintian: 2E, 3W
	p linda: 2E, 3W

loop-aes	1.6i	GPL
	http://loop-aes.sourceforge.net/
	(or better: http://sourceforge.net/projects/loop-aes/)
	+ ftbfs, wanted to modify some of my kernel source
      RFP This might make definitively sense as Debian package

mkdosswapfile-knoppix	0.5-10	GPL
	http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/
	+ knoppix native
	p lintian: 3E, 2W
	p linda: 2E

mkmenusfromkde	0.5-2	GPL
	http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/
	+ knoppix native
	p lintian: 3E, 2W
	p linda: 3E

mouseconfig	0.5-2	GPL
	http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/
	+ knoppix native
	p lintian: 3E, 2W
	p linda: 2E
      BTS The brocken gpm package of Debian should be fixed.  It is in a really
          bad state! :-(((

netcardconfig-knoppix	0.5-9	GPL
	http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/
	+ knoppix native
	p lintian: 3E, 2W
	p linda: 2E
	! I'm unsure if it might be possible to include it into Debian native
	  network setup??? Klaus, any comments?

networkconfig-knoppix	0.5-2	GPL
	http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/
	+ knoppix native
	p lintian: 2E, 2W
	p linda: 1E
	K just menu entries

playvideodisk-knoppix	0.5-2	GPL
	http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/sources/
	+ knoppix native
        p lintian: 3E, 2W
        p linda: 3E

rootshell-knoppix	0.5-2	GPL
	http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/
	+ knoppix native
        p lintian: 2E, 2W
        p linda: 1E

saveconfig-knoppix	0.5-9	GPL
	http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/sources/
	+ knoppix native
        p lintian: 3E, 2W
        p linda: 2E

sitar	0.8.4-1	GPL
	http://sitar.berlios.de
        p lintian: 9E, 5W
        p linda: 2E, 2W
      RFP should definitely included into Debian, seems to be less effort because
          Debian packages are available upstream (fixes possibly needed)

sndconfig-knoppix	0.57-7	GPL
	ftp://ftp.redhat.com/redhat/redhat-7.0/SRPMS/i386/SRPMS/sndconfig-0.57-2.src.rpm
	p ftbfs, missing some Build-Depends
	! seems to be quite unmaintained by RedHat (CVS unchanged since years)
	  Any comments whether it might make sense to build a Debian package??

soundcardconfig-knoppix	0.5-1	GPL
	http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/
	+ knoppix native
        p lintian: 3E, 2W
        p linda: 2E

sshstart-knoppix	0.5-1	GPL
	http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/
	+ knoppix native
        p lintian: 3E, 2W
        p linda: 2E

startnessus-knoppix	0.5-3	GPL
	http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/
	+ knoppix native
        p lintian: 7E, 4W
        p linda: 2E, 2W

sudoers-knoppix	0.5-1 GPL
	http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/
	+ knoppix native
        p lintian: 2E, 2W
        p linda: 1W

sysvinit-knoppix 2.84-146	GPL
	???
        p lintian: 20E, 50W (wow!)
        p linda: 20E, 17W
	p doesn't list upstream, doesn't have debian/copyright
      !!! Klaus, please comment on it.  Is it possible to fix Debian
          package to fit your needs.  How can this package fixed regarding
	  these lintian bugs???

usleep-knoppix	0.5-1	GPL
	http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/
	+ knoppix native
        p lintian: 2E, 2W
        p linda: 2E
	K seems to be a very small tool

util-linux	2.11x ??? (has GPL and BSD licenses included, but doesn't specify)
	xxx
	p doesn't ship with a ./debian
	! Could you please comment about the difference to Debian package and
	  how it might be enhanced.  I've hear there were some statically linked
	  packages.  May be the Debian maintainer could be convinced to build
	  an additional util-linux-static package from Debian source package which
	  might be the cleanest solution.

xf86config-knoppix	0.7-7	GPL
	http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/
	+ knoppix native
        p lintian: 4E
        p linda: 5E
       !K Klaus, you did a very good job here.  May be it could be included into
          Debian.  If not, we could include it into knopstrap

xsession-initscript-knoppix	0.5-7	GPL
	http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/
	+ knoppix native
        p lintian: 9E
        p linda: 3E
	K ??? (comments)

xsession-knoppix	0.5-9	GPL
	http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/
	+ knoppix native
        p lintian: 3E
        p linda: 3E
        K ??? what's the difference to the package above?