[debian-knoppix] Re: Analyzing Knoppix extra stuff (Was: knoppix/bootcd like software?)

Hi Andreas,

I had *very* little time in the past weeks, so I enter the discussion a
but late...

On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 11:44:34 +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:

> > which only contain a script or two per-package.  how about a
> > "knoppix-util" package for these?  we could also have a -data package,
> > since much of this is architecture-independant scripts, and i see
> > this eventually being able to work on arch's besides i386 (at least
> > to varying extents)
> This is exactly what I think about this issue.  This whole lot of packages
> with just one script or menu entry is confusing.  While thinking about

So each time a single component of the knoppix-util package is updated,
you have to update the whole package? Unnecessary complicated.

Klaus is very good in solving things the KISS way (keep it simple and
stupid). I am not very fond of the idea to "fuck up" everything just to
get it Debian compatible.

> > also, i think some of the packages may be able to be replaced by actual
> > debian-proper packages.  for example ash could be replaced by dash (or
> > some other static-linked shell), right?
> Definitely.

Is dash compatible with the shell scripts used in Knoppix at boot time?

>       RFP could someone check and issue an RFP bug if this makes sense for general use
>       BTS Packages which might be necessary to enhance in Debian to fit Knoppix needs

Sorry for being clueless, but what is RFP and BTS?

> ash 0.2-3 BSD
> 	http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/
> 	+ doesn't ship with a diff but still modified
> 	+ uses dietlibc instead of... libc5?

AFAIK yes.

> 	p lintian: 1E, 1W
> 	p linda: 1E

Lintian, linda, huh? Please explain.

> kbdconfig	0.5-3	GPL
> 	http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/
> 	+ knoppix-native
> 	p Arch is wrong
> 	p lintian: 3E, 2W
> 	p linda: 2E
> 	K just a single script...

...which is totally sufficient for setting the console keyboard.

> kdelock-knoppix	0.5	GPL
> 	http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/sources/
> 	+ knoppix native
> 	p just a single wrapper sh script (not bothering to build)
> 	K just a single script

Read /usr/bin/kdesktop_lock, /cdrom/KNOPPIX/README_Security.txt and
find out why this package is important. (hint: passwords are disabled
in Knoppix)

> knoppix-hdinstall	0.37-1	GPL
> 	http://www.itm.tu-clausthal.de/~perle/

URL is:
http://www.itm.tu-clausthal.de/~perle/knx/

> 	+ knoppix native
> 	p wierd, has tarfiles of its own files inside it
> 	K could Christian Perle please comment on this

It doesn't have templates *in* the script. The templates are located in a
tarball under /usr/local/lib. The reason for knx-hdinstall not being
installed under /usr is that it is still experimental software. You
also won't find it in the menus.
The templates are needed for "normalizing" the boot scripts (no
hardware detection at boot time, normal runlevel directories, no
hacked inittab...).

> knoppix-terminalserver	0.5-9	GPL
> 	http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/
> 	+ knoppix native
> 	p lintian: 4E, 3W
> 	p linda: 3E
> 	! I'm waiting for comments - might be a little bit nifty. I would love
> 	  to see this as real Debian package which might some developer sponsor

AFAIK this script is heavily based on Knoppix (like exporting the
cloop image), so it would cost some effort to run it on non-Knoppix
systems.

> loop-aes	1.6i	GPL
> 	http://loop-aes.sourceforge.net/
> 	(or better: http://sourceforge.net/projects/loop-aes/)
> 	+ ftbfs, wanted to modify some of my kernel source

No, it does *not* modify the kernel source. The kernel source tree has
to be installed, though. The file loop.c is copied from the kernel
source tree to the build location of loop-aes, patched and compiled
there. The resulting loop.o is copied to /lib/modules/...
However, to make use of the loop-AES module, losetup and mount have to
be patched (those versions are included in the package).

> util-linux	2.11x ??? (has GPL and BSD licenses included, but doesn't specify)
> 	xxx
> 	p doesn't ship with a ./debian
> 	! Could you please comment about the difference to Debian package and
> 	  how it might be enhanced.  I've hear there were some statically linked

I think it is the loop-AES-patched version. (losetup and mount are
included in util-linux)

bye,
  Chris
--