Re: [debian-knoppix] Re: knoppix/bootcd like software?

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 01:23:08PM -0500, sean finney wrote:
> fyi, i've started this list.  it can be found at:
>
> http://cs.swarthmore.edu/~finney/debian/knoppix_packaging.txt

and now i've finished it.  basically, i ran over everything, got
upstream address, version, license, tried to weed out what was by and for
knoppix, from what was imported, ran ./debian/rules binary if it existed,
and if it built, ran linda and lintian on it.  a few of them i
even commented on...

from what i could tell many of the packages had issues but most
of them were relatively minor.  but before we dive into really
messing around with everything, i think there's quite a bit of package
consolidation that could go on with some of these packages, many of
which only contain a script or two per-package.  how about a
"knoppix-util" package for these?  we could also have a -data package,
since much of this is architecture-independant scripts, and i see
this eventually being able to work on arch's besides i386 (at least
to varying extents)

also, i think some of the packages may be able to be replaced by actual
debian-proper packages.  for example ash could be replaced by dash (or
some other static-linked shell), right?

anyway, the floor's open for comments...

	sean