Re: [debian-knoppix] Analyzing Knoppix extra stuff (Was: knoppix/bootcd like software?)

On Donnerstag, 13. März 2003 11:44, Andreas Tille wrote:
> sysvinit-knoppix 2.84-146	GPL
> 	???
>         p lintian: 20E, 50W (wow!)
>         p linda: 20E, 17W
> 	p doesn't list upstream, doesn't have debian/copyright
>       !!! Klaus, please comment on it.  Is it possible to fix Debian
>           package to fit your needs.  How can this package fixed regarding
> 	  these lintian bugs???

> xsession-initscript-knoppix	0.5-7	GPL
> 	http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/
> 	+ knoppix native
>         p lintian: 9E
>         p linda: 3E
> 	K ??? (comments)
>
> xsession-knoppix	0.5-9	GPL
> 	http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/
> 	+ knoppix native
>         p lintian: 3E
>         p linda: 3E
>         K ??? what's the difference to the package above?

Regarding those three packages I think we could put something into that. While
diving into the knoppix specifics, you have:

- - a modified init
- - a hacked up /etc/inittab
- - all symlinks from /etc/init.d/ to /etc/rc* removed

What we would propose is the following:

- - use the regular init if possible
- - don't hack up /etc/inittab <-- this is the worst thing you can do to a
System V system :-)
- - apt-get install kdm

- - change /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc to do a direct login of the user with giving the
user a password and set kdmrc to 600. This is the safest way to handle the
user account and at the same time making the user not requireing to know his
password to get straight into X.

You may want to consult ossi so that on a direct user login without required
password xsetbackground is called so that the background image is directly
loaded; currently you'd get the grey X background before kdesktop loads the
background image.

Ralf
- --
Ralf Nolden